PDA

View Full Version : Filter Sock Sunstitute

jc03
08/19/2015, 06:15 PM
I'm sick of filter socks! Changing them that is. I'm running a Reef flo super dart that I figure is pushing about 3000 gph with head height through Bean Animal overflows. I have 32"x6" socks that are being overrun almost daily. I'm thinking about doing something like stuffing a 5 gallon bucket with matting as a substitute? Any ideas?

Ron Reefman
08/20/2015, 07:07 AM
It will clog up just like a filter sock.

Good luck finding a reasonable and inexpensive substitute.

cham
08/20/2015, 07:20 AM
I had the same issue using a reeflo snapper return, I had to go to the largest sock available to fix it. The smaller socks will over run in about 1 or 2 days. Are you using the XL sock?

What I've found helps even with the smaller socks is blowing off my rocks an hour or two before water changes, this will load up the sock that I'll change at WC time.

Couple things come to the top on what you can do. If you sump will allow it split the return off just before the sump to dual returns or add a "Y" fitting in your sump so that the return water splits so you can run dual socks. Or just simply throttle your return flow with a ball valve. 3,000 gph is a lot of flow. How big is your tank?

jc03
08/24/2015, 06:59 PM
I had the same issue using a reeflo snapper return, I had to go to the largest sock available to fix it. The smaller socks will over run in about 1 or 2 days. Are you using the XL sock?

What I've found helps even with the smaller socks is blowing off my rocks an hour or two before water changes, this will load up the sock that I'll change at WC time.

Couple things come to the top on what you can do. If you sump will allow it split the return off just before the sump to dual returns or add a "Y" fitting in your sump so that the return water splits so you can run dual socks. Or just simply throttle your return flow with a ball valve. 3,000 gph is a lot of flow. How big is your tank?

Good call! I'm going to y the return into 2 socks. Right now I have 32"x6" socks.

aniceplace
08/25/2015, 12:19 PM
I stopped using socks a year ago and I haven't had any issues. I heard of others doing it but I was suspicious when I saw the amount of detritus the socks were removing. Eventually my lazy side won over my better judgement and I couldn't be happier; tank is as clean and clear as ever.

Breadman03
08/25/2015, 04:51 PM
There's a device that looks like a pair of rolls of toilet paper. It slowly rolls the filter from one roll to the other. Every so often, simply change the cartridge.

Theiling Rollermat (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCyUdIDg4KQ)

DBR_reef
01/19/2016, 10:38 AM
I'm sick of filter socks! Changing them that is. I'm running a Reef flo super dart that I figure is pushing about 3000 gph with head height through Bean Animal overflows. I have 32"x6" socks that are being overrun almost daily. I'm thinking about doing something like stuffing a 5 gallon bucket with matting as a substitute? Any ideas?

I got sick of them too, but I'm a compulsive over feeder- this was my solution
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2552341
or search automatic mechanical filter

DBR_reef
01/19/2016, 12:04 PM
whoops- http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2552341

jayball
01/19/2016, 12:29 PM
There's a device that looks like a pair of rolls of toilet paper. It slowly rolls the filter from one roll to the other. Every so often, simply change the cartridge.

Theiling Rollermat (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCyUdIDg4KQ)

It is not showing on BRS now so I do not know where to look but IIRC that is limited to ~600 GPH throughput.

L8Braker
01/19/2016, 12:30 PM
Just replaced my Reeflo Gold Dart/Snapper with a Panworld (getting alot more flow due to head pressure).

Having said that why are you having so much detritus to clog the filter socks so quickly? Sounds like you need more mechanical filtration. I would suggest having multiple filter socks as stated above and alternate their replacement so one is always clean. Also try to devise a filter sock tray that will allow the overflow to go into the other sock or into the sump ultimately if they clog up.

If your tank warrants and the budget allows you could go for an ultima bead filter which requires weekly flushing but never clogs up like a filter sock.

AZRippster
01/19/2016, 01:02 PM
I hate socks too. When implementing an ATS, I decided to make a housing that could drop into my sump that doubles as the location where water enters the sump and also functions as a pre-filter. I pre-cut a bunch of Pinky Filters and just toss them when they start getting plugged. Something like this might work for you as well. Here are some shots you can get an idea from.

scooter31707
01/19/2016, 01:34 PM
I was tried to until my LFS gave me an idea. Get the size filter sock (micron) that you needed and then get a smaller mesh sock to stick inside the Micron one. Still have to change it, but for me I am lasting about a week now with this new concept. Micron doesn't clog as fast.

ReefCowboy
01/19/2016, 03:24 PM
I run BRS mesh bags now.... The felt ones suck and will clog often.
The mesh is cleaned in 1 minute under hot water and they are very efficient also on what is expected from them.

I clean them once every 4 days whereas the felt clogged every other day(PIA)