PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a new quiet skimmer

MadsDK
08/19/2015, 06:29 PM
Hello to all of you dear fellow reefers!

My tank is approximately 63 gallon mixed reef with a 15 gallon external sump. At the moment, I am using a skims 121 skimmer. The skimmer is a bit unstable (probaly because it is a bit old) sometimes when i get home the skimmer has stopped working and i have to unplug it and restart it to get it working again, and it is pretty noisy. So I am looking for a new one.
I have been offered a used BK mini 200 with a laguna pump for 200 euros but I am not sure if this is the right skimmer for me because of its high power consumption.
The Nyos quantum skimmers have been around for some time now, and I have heard that it is a pretty good skimmer and it only consumes a bout 18 watts of power.

So what do you guys think? is a used BK skimmer still a good skimmer? would the nyos be a better choice for me? or is there something else i should look at?

p.s. sorry for the bad gramma. As you can guess, english is not my language :hmm6:

moondoggy4
08/19/2015, 08:41 PM
As nice as the BK is it is way too large for your system, you could easily do a 150 gallon tank A BK 160 would be a better fit. I have heard good things about the Nyos skimmers.

The ATB Nano looks real nice.

MadsDK
08/20/2015, 02:03 AM
thank you. What would happen if i used the bk skimmer? would it not be able to draw out dirt because its size?

what about the bubble magus curve skimmers? are they any god, and are the quiet?

EllisJuan
08/20/2015, 02:04 AM
Aquamaxx/JNS ConeS CO-1

/thread

mypepper
08/20/2015, 07:37 AM
I have the NYOS 160 Quantum skimmer and it is dead silent and the performance of this skimmer is excellent. Since the 160 model may over skim your system, you could use the 120 model.

After my NYOS skimmer went through the initial break in period, I'm now getting dark green up to black skim mate in soupy consistency.

Thanks,
Randy

Mayberry
08/20/2015, 07:54 AM
I have an Eshopps PSK-100H Hang-On that does a great job and does it very quietly.

MadsDK
08/20/2015, 09:30 AM
thank you guys! the nyos sounds promising! maybe I should get me one of those. I was just wondering, how much has the power consumption inscresed when switching the old RD pump on the BK mini 200 to a laguna 1500 pump? I can see that the laguna i stated to use 100 watt, but if you use it on a skimmer i should decrease, right?