PDA

View Full Version : Reefbreeders Purchased in 2014 Prior to Tank Mounts

bjbass
08/19/2015, 09:53 PM
I have a Photon 48 and I really love this LED, but I bought it in late 2014 before the tank mounts came with the LEDs. First of all, can this be retrofitted to use the tank mounts and can I get a set of them since they now come with them stock? I would really rather have this thing tank mounted at this point.

Reef_Breeders
08/21/2015, 10:56 AM
Hi,

The case had to be modified to take the legs, as did the LED boards on the Photon 48 (we shortened it a few inches so it would sit on the rim of a 48" tank), so the legs will not work with the old version of the Photon 48.

bjbass
08/21/2015, 03:38 PM
Ok darn. Do you do swaps for the case within warranty period?

Reef_Breeders
08/22/2015, 05:13 PM
The case would be too short- the LED boards would also need to be replaced o the 48s, and the internals are wired a bit differently, the drivers are closer to the middle since the ends of the legs insert into the light, the old driver position would block the legs.

bjbass
08/22/2015, 06:55 PM
:-(

bjbass
08/30/2015, 09:12 PM
Is there any way to get a hanging kit then?

Reef_Breeders
08/31/2015, 09:54 PM
They include wire hangers, but if you have lost yours we do sell the sets. Send an email through the website to order.

rjallen
09/07/2015, 06:18 PM
Ok darn. Do you do swaps for the case within warranty period?

I am going to jump in here and say something that I am sure others have thought and Logan is too nice of a person to say. I am doing this because such thinking pollutes our society and makes it hard for small businesses to succeed.

First, I also own one of the first 48" Reef Builders LED fixtures. It does not have the latest LED pattern and it sure does not have the new adjustable supports. I have gotten great service from the unit and great support from Logan over the years. I would never presume to ask Reef Breeders to change out the fixture for the newer model. Besides the fact it is highly unfair, such practices would prevent manufacturers from improving their product if they had to supply all previous customers the new product.

Imagine, you buy a brand new car with the latest and greatest "stuff". A year later a new improved model of your vehicle comes to the market. So the seller of your vehicle should upgrade your car? Crazy. I am sorry if I hurt the OP's feelings but I really do not think he/she has thought it through.

RJ

bjbass
09/08/2015, 10:22 PM
I am going to jump in here and say something that I am sure others have thought and Logan is too nice of a person to say. I am doing this because such thinking pollutes our society and makes it hard for small businesses to succeed.

First, I also own one of the first 48" Reef Builders LED fixtures. It does not have the latest LED pattern and it sure does not have the new adjustable supports. I have gotten great service from the unit and great support from Logan over the years. I would never presume to ask Reef Breeders to change out the fixture for the newer model. Besides the fact it is highly unfair, such practices would prevent manufacturers from improving their product if they had to supply all previous customers the new product.

Imagine, you buy a brand new car with the latest and greatest "stuff". A year later a new improved model of your vehicle comes to the market. So the seller of your vehicle should upgrade your car? Crazy. I am sorry if I hurt the OP's feelings but I really do not think he/she has thought it through.

RJ

No feelings hurt. All I did was ask if it was possible to swap out the case to tank mount and can't.

chris31
09/27/2015, 06:54 PM
To defend bjbass, I was in the same situation as him. I bought the photon 48 in late '14. When I bought the fixture I inquired as to if there were legs available for the fixture and I was told they were in the works and would be available within the next few months. Under the impression I would be able to purchase them when they were available I went ahead and purchased the fixture. When I learned that reef breeders went with a whole new fixture and the feet would not fit not I was extremely annoyed. So instead of being able to purchase the legs I thought I would be able to I had to go and spend another $180 on a ecotech bracket and modify my light for it to work on the bracket. Extremely frustrating and not right in my opinion! Supposable the design did not work which is why they went to the new fixture design. If that is the case they should have done something for the customers that they told legs would be available.