PDA

View Full Version : DA RKE on Mac?

mushumatt
08/20/2015, 05:13 PM
I cannot find a difinitive answer anywhere. I am researching controllers for my new tank, it is a toss up between the Ape and RKE. All of my computers are macs, and it seems like the RKE programming can only be done through a Microsoft computer, not an apple? Is this true?

Thanks!

n2585722
08/20/2015, 07:11 PM
I cannot find a difinitive answer anywhere. I am researching controllers for my new tank, it is a toss up between the Ape and RKE. All of my computers are macs, and it seems like the RKE programming can only be done through a Microsoft computer, not an apple? Is this true?

Thanks!
On their new Archon it does not matter. Programming can be done on most devices that have a web browser. This includes smart phones and iPads. I use the iPad most of the time. The Archon will work with most of the RKE/RKL modules. It has built in wifi and does not require the NET module for a network commection.

n2585722
08/20/2015, 07:18 PM
To answer your question on the RKE myReef is PC only. It can however be programmed via the head unit or limited programming through the NET module.

mushumatt
08/20/2015, 07:26 PM
Alright thanks for the information. I am still on the fence between the Ape and RKE but that has been covered. Thanks guys

n2585722
08/20/2015, 07:47 PM
You may want to check out the Digital Aquatics Archon.
http://www.digitalaquatics.com/archon/system/

I also have the RKE but the Archon is a lot more advanced and is now Digital Aquatics top of the line controller. it has 4 switch inputs, 4 0-10v outputs and 2 PWM outputs. It has 2 pH or ORP ports and a iTemp port. It also has 3 buss ports and a USB port. The 2 pH or ORP porst can be selected as both pH one of each or both ORP. The system is Linux based.

mushumatt
08/20/2015, 08:05 PM
You may want to check out the Digital Aquatics Archon.
http://www.digitalaquatics.com/archon/system/

I also have the RKE but the Archon is a lot more advanced and is now Digital Aquatics top of the line controller. it has 4 switch inputs, 4 0-10v outputs and 2 PWM outputs. It has 2 pH or ORP ports and a iTemp port. It also has 3 buss ports and a USB port. The 2 pH or ORP porst can be selected as both pH one of each or both ORP. The system is Linux based.

With the Archon you would still use the RKE display module? Sorry for probably the stupid question's, but controllers are all new to me. When I used to have my 180 SPS setup it was the infancy of controllers and LED lights.

n2585722
08/20/2015, 08:17 PM
With the Archon you would still use the RKE display module? Sorry for probably the stupid question's, but controllers are all new to me. When I used to have my 180 SPS setup it was the infancy of controllers and LED lights.
At this time the RKE head unit will not interface with the Archon. They do plan to have firmware out that will allow this in the future. The Archon does not require you have the RKE or RKL. It is all web based. Once setup to allow you access to it from the internet you can log on and do anything you can do when you are home as far as programming or monitoring goes from anywhere you can access the internet. There are things I wound not try unless I was at home at the tank but that would be with any controller.

mushumatt
08/20/2015, 08:22 PM
Very interesting. So with the Archon or DA controllers you have the ability to control Tunze, Vortechs, and Jebao pumps? Or is it merely turning on/off. I heard the user interface on DA was a little complicated comparably to the Ape. I am not great with computers so the easier interface will probably win my business.

n2585722
08/20/2015, 08:35 PM
A this time it will control Tunze and Jebao. The Jebao requires the DCI module and the Tunze pumps require the correct cable assembly. The Vortech control is suppose to be in the works for the Archon. I like the Archon interface. It works nicely with the iPad. It depends on the device you are using how it looks. It is different on a computer from the iPad and from the phone. I do have an android phone but I would have to assume since it works on the iPad it should work with the iPhone. Screenshots on their facebook page https://www.facebook.com/DigitalAquaticsTechnology