PDA

View Full Version : derasa growth

dragon_slayer
10/07/2003, 08:13 PM
i have 2 derasa's that are recently moved into their new home, a 180 with 4 250w MH's. they are on the sandbed and the lights are 9" off the water.....................

derasa #1 came out of my 75 with 2 400w MH's and is about 4"
derasa #2 came from my 29 which has 4x65 PC (3 actinic and one 10KK)

both are doing great, and have been for quite some time now.

prior to the move the growth line on #1 was about 3/8" and #2's was around 1/4.

after the move 3 weeks ago the growth line has change to say the least, #1 while going from the higher concentration of light to the lower (deeper tank, less watt per bulb) has now got a growth line a wopping 1/2" and is really putting on the shell.

#2 which i really expected to grow faster is still about the same, but man what some color its brought out. the colors are more brillient they seam, may be just the lighting tho.

the water is testing within a very little difference of the old tank conditions. NO3 is undetectable in both tanks (salifert test kits) so i dont think it has anything to do with food supply. i feed the same as i always did and this tank has more to consume the phyto i feed to it.

anyone got a guess as to why the sudden growth burst from clam #1 who is under lesser lighting????

tia
kc

if it makes any difference two maxima's that came from the 75 as well are about the same as they were before on growth line.

dragon_slayer
10/08/2003, 08:22 PM
anyone????????????????

faviasteve
10/13/2003, 11:54 AM
You may have had too much light in the 75. We typically think the more light the better, especially for light-loving clams, but your clam may been experiencing "photoinhibition". I remember reading an article a few months ago about photoinhibition in corals where too much light caused a slowdown in growth. Differences in current may also be significant. These are just guesses. I thought I'd throw something out there because no one else replied. I hope you have 2 monster derasas soon- they are awesome!

Steve

dragon_slayer
10/13/2003, 06:26 PM
thanks for the reply as well as the comments on the clams. i'll do a little research into the "photoinhibition".

thanks agian.
kc