PDA

View Full Version : Help with micro bubbles, and what is wrong with this?

BlackTip
08/21/2015, 03:39 PM
I have RO Super Reef 5000SSS. It creates so much micro bubbles. First I used an elbow with a hole in it, and it didn't work. I made this (see photo) and it doesn't work either. It look identical to the device RO selling. First I used 1.5" PVC, then I used 2" PVC. The cap has 3/8" hole.

Any idea?

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=9917&pictureid=71261

BlackTip
09/03/2015, 08:12 AM
I really need help with this. Are all skimmers like this? Do I need to replace it?

The micor bubbles driving me crazy, and I've been trying different things every day. I had the outlet submerged in water, above water, half submerged, quarter submerged, straight pipe, elbow, double elbow, etc. I just can't get rid of it.

Hitch08
09/03/2015, 09:22 AM
Do you have any baffles in your sump? Where is the skimmer in your sump versus any baffles? Maybe you can figure out a way to dissipate them before they go into your DT?

Sorry, but I can't really help with the bubbles coming out of your skimmer. When I first started mine up, I had a lot as well. However, that stopped after (what I consider to be) a break in period. I also have a different manufacturer.

BlackTip
09/03/2015, 09:57 AM
The skimmer is in a its own chamber. Water go over one divider to another section (carbon reactor), then three baffles before the water reaches the return section.

KingTriton1
09/03/2015, 10:43 AM
Maybe adding some filter floss in-between the divider. You could then use the filter floss for seeding your quarantine.

It may just be me, but the part used in the photo looks rather long. You may run into some problems with back pressure imo. I THINK that part is used for noise reduction not for reducing bubbles.

BlackTip
09/03/2015, 11:24 AM
Maybe adding some filter floss in-between the divider. You could then use the filter floss for seeding your quarantine.

It may just be me, but the part used in the photo looks rather long. You may run into some problems with back pressure imo. I THINK that part is used for noise reduction not for reducing bubbles.

I do, in fact, have two pieces for filter sponges in the last baffle to seed my QT tanks. They are not helping. Also, I put a filter sock in the drain pipe, it help a little, but didn't solve the problem, because the bubble are generated from the skimmer.

About the silencer in the photo, I experimented with long, short, and no pipe at all. I even step it up to 2" PVC pipe.

I have solved many issues in my setup, and by far this is the second most aggravating one. (Staining the stand was by far the most difficult)

Harry_Y
09/03/2015, 09:19 PM
Are you sure its the skimmer and not a leak in a return lkne letting air get sucked in?

Wazzel
09/03/2015, 09:23 PM
How long have you been running the skimmer? They do have a break in period where they will make lots of micro bubbles.

BlackTip
09/08/2015, 09:26 AM
The skimmer has been running for almost 9 weeks now. And I am very sure that it is the skimmer. When I shut off the skimmer and let all other equipment running, the micro bubbles disappear with 30 min or so.

metalmesh
09/08/2015, 10:59 AM
I have RO Super Reef 5000SSS. It creates so much micro bubbles. First I used an elbow with a hole in it, and it didn't work. I made this (see photo) and it doesn't work either. It look identical to the device RO selling. First I used 1.5" PVC, then I used 2" PVC. The cap has 3/8" hole.

Any idea?

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=9917&pictureid=71261

Can you make some pics of the layout in the sump and placement of the filter material?

bws
09/08/2015, 04:33 PM
maybe try like one of those filter media socks with maybe even some floss filter pad in there, that should stop the bubbles