PDA

View Full Version : *PIC INCLUDED - ALL QUESTIONS ANSWERED* Please Help Me Diagnose

naterealbig
08/21/2015, 04:24 PM
First off, let me say thank you to those that contribute so frequently to this thread. You advice and insight are invaluable. I did my best using the search function to try to find a similar presentation in the threads here on this forum, but was unable to.

Thank you for taking a look, and for whatever guidance you may be able to provide!!

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r225/naterealbig/Rainbow%20Archipelago%201_0/fish_zps2jux6324.jpg (http://s145.photobucket.com/user/naterealbig/media/Rainbow%20Archipelago%201_0/fish_zps2jux6324.jpg.html)

1. How old is this aquarium? The rock has been cycling for 6 months, however fish have only been in for 3 weeks.

2. If less than six months old, what is ammonia level?
NH3 = 0

3. What is SG of this aquarium? How measured? SG = 1.026 Measured with Marine Depot Refractometer

4. When was the last fish added to this aquarium? Fish last added 2 weeks ago.

5. Was it quarantined? If so, how? And how long? Was it prophylactically treated? How? No. Since I moved (Monday of this week) however, I now have the ability to hospitalize the fish, in addition to quarantining all new individuals.

6. If you are using a copper based medication, which one? How often do you measure level? When? I am not currently using any medication.

7. If you are using hyposalinity, how did you calibrate your refractometer?
N/A

8. Please describe in detail, the appearance of the fish? If there is one or more pimples, are they lumpy? What color?
Mimic Tang - Colors are pale. Fish appears to be underweight, but not losing weight. Eyes are clear. Grey blotches cover approximately 10% of it's skin surface, and blotches are increasing in size. They have approximately tripled in size over the course of 2 weeks. The gray blotches seem to be slightly recessed, and the surface of them appears to be rough. At first I believed the blotches to be scratches on the fish from rubbing against the rock, or perhaps being bitten by another fish.

9. Please describe the behavior of the fish as best you can. Is it acting reclusive? Is it always up towards the top of the aquarium? Is it avoiding light? How active is the fish?
The tang is acting like a normal tang of this species. It appears to have an ample amount of energy, and swims everywhere in the tank. It is not reclusive at all. It is not avoiding light. The fish is very active.

10. Is the fish eating? What?
The fish is currently eating only Mysis, as that is all I have. The fish also grazes on the rock and other tank surfaces. I understand that this fish should be fed a diet consisting of a large amount of plant matter. I have just recently moved, and have not had time to pick up a vegetable based food. I know this is no excuse, and may in-fact be contributing to the problem. I will take some time tomorrow to find some better choices. I am confident that it would accept other offerings, were they available.

jamesbaur13
08/21/2015, 06:19 PM
It's just my thought (and I don't pretend to be an expert), but I think the move has stressed the fish and it has lost some of its slime coat. Fish tend to lose color if they have an ailment which is systemic, not darken. Not too mention his activity level is good. Personally I'd continue to monitor him unless he starts to become lethargic or shows other signs of distress... Heavy breathing, itching, etc...

Deinonych
08/21/2015, 07:14 PM
I agree it looks like stress coloration. Diet is likely a factor as well. I would source some nori and/or spirulina based foods ASAP. Mysis is not going to be sufficient for this fish long-term. Another option is New Era MarineGrazer Rings - my Kole Tang goes nuts for them.

naterealbig
08/21/2015, 07:32 PM
I hear you both on stress and diet. Here are a few reasons I am concerned it's not just dress and diet.

1. The areas have a texture to them.
2. He is scratching himself on the spots.
3. Two other fish in the tank have developed spats and are scratching too.

snorvich
08/21/2015, 08:10 PM
Any chromis? Looks like Uronema or brook.

Deinonych
08/22/2015, 07:45 AM
I hear you both on stress and diet. Here are a few reasons I am concerned it's not just dress and diet.

1. The areas have a texture to them.
2. He is scratching himself on the spots.
3. Two other fish in the tank have developed spats and are scratching too.

Then that's another matter entirely, and differs from what you wrote in the first post:

The tang is acting like a normal tang of this species. It appears to have an ample amount of energy, and swims everywhere in the tank. It is not reclusive at all. It is not avoiding light. The fish is very active.

Scratching is indicative of a parasite, typically. Can you provide pics of the other affected fish?

naterealbig
08/22/2015, 08:17 AM
Any chromis? Looks like Uronema or brook.

Hi snorvich, there are no Chromis in the tank. I will try to look up some pictures of these ailments and see if either match.

naterealbig
08/22/2015, 08:21 AM
Then that's another matter entirely, and differs from what you wrote in the first post:

Scratching is indicative of a parasite, typically. Can you provide pics of the other affected fish?

You are right. I did not mention the other fish because the questions did not mention them. I actually wrote the part about the fish scratching, realized I was writing it in the wrong area, then forgot to add it later. Sorry about that. I will try to get some good pics of the other fish today.

naterealbig
08/22/2015, 08:36 AM
1. I do not observe any increased production of mucous on any of the fish in the aquarium.

2. I do not observe any reddening of the affected areas, or open sores.

3. I have 4 fish total. The tang, Midas Blenny, and Royal Gramma, are the only fish presenting - my long-nosed Hawkfish is showing no symptoms at all.

4. All fish are acting normal, with the exception of the Tang and Gramma, which scratch often.

5. I do not observe the dark patches on the Midas Blenny, but a single raised spot, approximately 3mm in diameter, on its left side. The spot is whitish and opaque.

6. The tang has had these spots for 2 weeks now, and the spots have almost tripled in size since then.

I will attempt to get some good shots of the other fish later today. I will also pick up some fish food today, and medicine mentioned in snorvich's post about Brook/Uronema. If I don't get any other recommendations, I will proceed with the Brook/Uronema treatment.

Steve and Chris; thank you so much for your help and input.

Nathan

naterealbig
08/23/2015, 04:27 PM
I had to get my Apex hooked up to Fusion, and I was able to get some better lighting in the aquarium. Here are some better shots of the fish. The Royal Gramma and the Mimic Tang are the most affected fish. There is a small spot on the Midas Blenny, but it could be just a raised scale from backing into the LR. The Long-Nose Hawk appears to be completely unaffected. Again, all of the fish are swimming around and eating. What do you think?

All of the fish have been moved to a 20g hospital tank and are awaiting treatment.

Thanks for looking!

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r225/naterealbig/Rainbow%20Archipelago%201_0/temporary_zpsphqkeub6.jpg (http://s145.photobucket.com/user/naterealbig/media/Rainbow%20Archipelago%201_0/temporary_zpsphqkeub6.jpg.html)

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r225/naterealbig/Rainbow%20Archipelago%201_0/temporary_zpscfinik5q.jpg (http://s145.photobucket.com/user/naterealbig/media/Rainbow%20Archipelago%201_0/temporary_zpscfinik5q.jpg.html)

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r225/naterealbig/Rainbow%20Archipelago%201_0/temporary_zpsbmkxtihi.jpg (http://s145.photobucket.com/user/naterealbig/media/Rainbow%20Archipelago%201_0/temporary_zpsbmkxtihi.jpg.html)

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r225/naterealbig/Rainbow%20Archipelago%201_0/temporary_zpsphqkeub6.jpg (http://s145.photobucket.com/user/naterealbig/media/Rainbow%20Archipelago%201_0/temporary_zpsphqkeub6.jpg.html)

andregarcia_73
08/24/2015, 11:14 AM
Tagging along. Had fish do this before but also power went out for 12 hours and I lost them all. Wondering what this is.

ginpang
08/25/2015, 07:35 AM
Have you looked into possible septicemia from vibrio infection?

naterealbig
08/26/2015, 10:39 PM
Hey guys, quick update:

1. I did not hear any other recommendations than snorvich's original diagnosis of possible Uronema.

2. Read an article on Uronema/Brook which stated the following regarding one of the chemical treatment options:
"Acriflavin
In my opinion, Acriflavin is one of the most under-used treatments available to marine fish keepers. It has a broad range of effect, being effective against protozoans, bacterial infections and external fungal diseases. It is as “reef safe” as any other “reef safe” treatment and is easily obtained. It can be bought in several formulations from the LFS but make sure it isn’t combined with malachite green or methylene blue which have toxicity issues in marine systems.

It is effective at a concentration of 6 ppm against many ciliates (Paperna, 1984) and this dose should be added to the aquarium on days 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, & 11. Your skimmer should be turned off and any activated charcoal removed. It dyes the water a greenish yellow colour which will change the light spectrum reaching your corals (if you decide to use it in a reef tank - personally I believe all medications are best kept out of a reef aquarium and used in a quarantine tank) and this colour is a bit of a pig to get rid of, but after treatment turning your skimmer back on and adding activated charcoal helps remove the coloration (as do water changes)."

3. 8/24 Went to the store and purchased some medications.
a) API Fungus Cure - Containing Victoria Green B (3mg/10gal) & Acriflavine (30mg/10gal)
b) API General Cure - Containing Metronidazole (250mg/10gal) & Praziquantel (75mg/10gal)
c) API E.M. - Containing Erythromycin (200mg/10gal)

8/24 Set up hospital tank with heater, LR ( I know this is recommended against, but had no other way to provide biological filtration ), and water from the display.

Added recommended dose of Fungus Cure & General Cure. Added Fish. Within 3 hours the Mimic Tang was dead. All other fish are alive, although they all have refused food since I added the medication.

8/25 Allowed 48 hours to pass, re-dosed the Fungus Cure and General Cure as recommended, and added the E.M. Small Fox Face Rabbit Fish dead. Originally showing absolutely no signs of sickness.

8/27 - Just came home and found the Long Nose Hawkfish dead. Originally showing no signs of sickness. The Royal Gramma, one of the only 2 fish presenting has actually gotten worse. The blotches have increased in both size and number, and is now displaying 'light colored' areas on skin and fins, and is swimming erratically. I am certain he will be dead by the morning. The only two fish that look like they will survive is the Midas Blenny and the Tail Spot Blenny.

Plans for 8/28 - I am refilling the tank up with water now, and will re-introduce both Blennies to the display tomorrow morning as soon as possible. Evidently, the treatments were rougher on the fish than the actual disease. Additionally and more importantly, none of the treatments are working on the disease.

Really Bummed