PDA

View Full Version : Digitas brown on bottom side

marvelousone
08/21/2015, 10:23 PM
I have a green montipora digita that has great green color on the top side of its branches. The bottom side is brown. I looked at some of the acro's and they have color on the top side and not so much color on bottom side. What is this a sign of. Is it light,potassium or some thing else......

Eastone
08/22/2015, 06:10 AM
Naturally the bottom of the coral gets less light than the top, and will have less colour.

a.browning
08/22/2015, 11:39 AM
Agreed. If you have bright white sand and use fluorescent bulbs you will get a lot of light reflecting back up at the undersides of the corals, which can keep them quite colorful. LEDs are bad for shadowing and you'll pretty much always have brown undersides or even have the bottoms start to die off. But what you described is normal.

marvelousone
08/22/2015, 01:03 PM
Naturally the bottom of the coral gets less light than the top, and will have less colour. Thanks

marvelousone
08/22/2015, 01:04 PM
Agreed. If you have bright white sand and use fluorescent bulbs you will get a lot of light reflecting back up at the undersides of the corals, which can keep them quite colorful. LEDs are bad for shadowing and you'll pretty much always have brown undersides or even have the bottoms start to die off. But what you described is normal. Thanks I have crush coral for sand bed and I use t5 for lighting.