PDA

View Full Version : I don't know what's wrong with my clown

dismayed
08/22/2015, 02:09 PM
I have a tomato clownfish that I have had something like 5 or 7 years. Just recently I have started noticing him kind of leaning on one of the power heads when he does his clown hover thing. It's almost like he's sick or tired and is partially bracing himself. He does look a bit thin. He's been eating well.

All his tank mates seem well and I've had all of them for a pretty long time.

I don't see any signs of ich or anything like that. Not sure what is wrong. Is he just old?

snorvich
08/22/2015, 05:26 PM
Do you know the age of the clownfish when acquired? Clownfish generally live about 15 years or so.

dismayed
08/22/2015, 06:22 PM
You know, I don't. I don't exactly remember where I got him. But with either place I would have purchased him, I'm sure he would have been flown in that week. He was fully grown / same size as now when I got him so definitely an adult.

snorvich
08/22/2015, 08:12 PM
You know, I don't. I don't exactly remember where I got him. But with either place I would have purchased him, I'm sure he would have been flown in that week. He was fully grown / same size as now when I got him so definitely an adult.

If he was an adult, he may be getting old on the clown life span plan.

ThRoewer
08/23/2015, 01:59 AM
Well, 15 years is definitely on the short end of the lifespan. It may rather be 20 to 30 years.
Also if a clown gets old you usually see a gradual decline in appearance and fitness. I've seen it on a very old clown in a friend's tank and even with visible signs of aging it lived for another couple of years.

Typical signs are slow weight loss and deterioration of general appearance that are not related to an acute disease.

dismayed
08/23/2015, 07:32 AM
Thanks everyone for the replies.

Hmm. I'm thinking he's just old. Over the last few years, I don't know how to describe it, but he has aged visually.

Is there anything special I should be doing for a "senior" clownfish?

snorvich
08/23/2015, 08:15 AM
Thanks everyone for the replies.

Hmm. I'm thinking he's just old. Over the last few years, I don't know how to describe it, but he has aged visually.

Is there anything special I should be doing for a "senior" clownfish?

Feed as previously. There is no AARP for fish. :lolspin:

snorvich
08/23/2015, 08:21 AM
As far as life span, it seems that generally accepted information indicates lifespan in captivity exeeds that in the wild. There is no definitive answer with some estimating life span in the wild at about 15 years and life span in captivity longer. A fair number of documented clownfish have lived 25 years in captivity.

ThRoewer
08/23/2015, 05:39 PM
In the wild predators will make sure that hardly any fish dies of old age. As soon as their fitness declines and reflexes slow they will likely fall victim to one of the many predators. That's why wild animals usually don't need a retirement plan.