PDA

View Full Version : Anemone ID help and medication question

Karliah
08/22/2015, 04:24 PM
So I've been looking at buying a BTA and during my search came across this one. I love the look of it, but for some reason I don't completely believe it's a BTA. (But I'm brand new to anemones so who knows)
If someone could ID it for me that'd be great.
(Medication question to follow picture)
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/22/62ab1764507bed80d90cb0b8aa0392b6.jpg
Medication question:
So I'm having a hydroid problem and am planning on using Panacur (fenbendazole) to eliminate them. I know it'll linger in the tank indefinitely. So my question is, does this medication negatively affect anemones? And if so, to what degree?

shifty51008
08/22/2015, 07:02 PM
If i were to guess i would say its a ritteri anemone, beautiful looking also.

I cant say much about that med though, sorry

Karliah
08/22/2015, 08:36 PM
That's sort of what I was thinking as well. However, the seller/dealer seems to be spot on with all they're other stock (including BTAs that are very obviously BTAs) so I'm just not sure. Also there seems to be very very slight "bubbling" towards the top of a few of the tips.
I'm looking to buy my first ever anemone, and definitely don't want anything besides a BTA.

shifty51008
08/22/2015, 08:43 PM
well if you wanna be sure you can send me that one and I will send you a RBTA :D

i've just never seen a BTA with that bright of white on the tips

Karliah
08/22/2015, 08:52 PM
Neither have I, but then this morning I saw this: http://m.liveaquaria.com/diversden/ItemDisplay.cfm?c=2733+4&ddid=276548
So then I got more confused.

shifty51008
08/22/2015, 08:55 PM
very possible that it is a BTA, either way it is still beautiful.

any reason you only want a BTA?

Karliah
08/22/2015, 09:35 PM
Yes I agree.
People have been telling me they are the "hardiest" and easiest for beginners. Also read dr shimeks tips for anemones that had the same consensus.
Then maybe once I get used to everything (far in the future) try different types.

Rippinfrags
08/23/2015, 12:38 AM
It's definitely a bubble tip anemone. The white tips will slightly fade when it expands.

Dkuhlmann
08/23/2015, 04:07 AM
That picture in the first post is NOT a BTA, there is no way.

It is a ritteri

http://www.qualitymarine.com/Products/Invertebrates/Wild/Anemones/Heteractis-magnifica/Ritteri

Karliah
08/23/2015, 07:31 AM
It's definitely a bubble tip anemone. The white tips will slightly fade when it expands.

That picture in the first post is NOT a BTA, there is no way.

It is a ritteri

http://www.qualitymarine.com/Products/Invertebrates/Wild/Anemones/Heteractis-magnifica/Ritteri

As if to add fuel to the fire. This is exactly what's going on in my brain while looking at pictures on google. I flip flop back and forth and can't decide what I think it is.

I've asked the seller for more pictures, if they reply I'll post them here.

Dkuhlmann
08/23/2015, 08:25 AM
That link I provided for you shows a ritteri with the exact coloration and tentacle formation. I've seen some strange looking BTA's and I've got a few myself currently, but never like that one, especially that close of a duplicate. One other thing is that there are white lines by the mouth of a BTA there are none in your original picture nor the one in that link. They have blocked the picture from being copied or I would have posted it.

If you have Occy's or Perculas they are harder to get to go with a BTA, it can happen but in my case I've had my current Percula pair for over 4 months with now 4 BTA's and they don't even go near them. It's best to pick the clown you want and then get one of it's natural hosts if that is your agenda, or be ready to wait.

CoralsAddiction
08/23/2015, 08:30 AM
Most Ritteris I have seen have a larger bald area around its mouth than the one posted by OP. I saw a couple of BTAs at LFS recently that looked like the one above.

Karliah
08/23/2015, 09:47 AM
That link I provided for you shows a ritteri with the exact coloration and tentacle formation. I've seen some strange looking BTA's and I've got a few myself currently, but never like that one, especially that close of a duplicate. One other thing is that there are white lines by the mouth of a BTA there are none in your original picture nor the one in that link. They have blocked the picture from being copied or I would have posted it.

If you have Occy's or Perculas they are harder to get to go with a BTA, it can happen but in my case I've had my current Percula pair for over 4 months with now 4 BTA's and they don't even go near them. It's best to pick the clown you want and then get one of it's natural hosts if that is your agenda, or be ready to wait.

The tentacles of the nem in question are much thicker than the one you posted Dkuhlmann. I agree the color is similar, however it's also similar to the link I posted, if the tentacles were elongated instead of bubbled.

Most Ritteris I have seen have a larger bald area around its mouth than the one posted by OP. I saw a couple of BTAs at LFS recently that looked like the one above.

That's what I was looking for as well, but unfortunately it's not a great picture. Hopefully the seller will respond to my request for more.

Karliah
08/23/2015, 09:49 AM
I'm not trying to discredit either side here. Hopefully I'll get more/better pictures so identification is made easy. If not, I'm hoping more people will jump on this thread so there more than just two opposing opinions. I directed Minh to this thread via message yesterday, so hopefully we'll get a response soon.

Dkuhlmann
08/23/2015, 11:26 AM
You still should see some white lines around the mouth if it's a BTA.

Karliah
08/23/2015, 11:43 AM
I can't figure out how to word this without it possibly being perceived as rude; that is not my intention:
Where in that picture is there a mouth?

OrionN
08/23/2015, 06:02 PM
It is hard to tell. There is no certainty from that picture. It is more likely BTA. Magnifica does have bare area around the mouth IMO

Karliah
08/23/2015, 06:35 PM
It is hard to tell. There is no certainty from that picture. It is more likely BTA. Magnifica does have bare area around the mouth IMO

Thanks! Do you have any experience or knowledge about using fenbendazole (panacur) with anemones?

mikefirefox
08/24/2015, 02:49 AM
Definitely a magnifica, I have a one year old in my tank and Ocellaris and Percula are attracted to it like a moth to a flame. You will have to let it settle though. It wants a nice flat and bright area where current is not to strong.

addictedreefer
08/24/2015, 08:18 AM
Definitely a magnifica, I have a one year old in my tank and Ocellaris and Percula are attracted to it like a moth to a flame. You will have to let it settle though. It wants a nice flat and bright area where current is not to strong.

Current not so strong? Mags are the most flow-loving of the host anemones.

Karliah
08/24/2015, 05:07 PM
Seller has yet to reply. Hopefully they will.

CoralsAddiction
08/24/2015, 06:27 PM
Seller has yet to reply. Hopefully they will.

That nem is listed on ebay. Just ask them to add a few pics to their listing.

Karliah
08/24/2015, 06:50 PM
I did and they've yet to reply, as stated above.