PDA

View Full Version : Building a sump/refugium. Two bubble traps?

oldpaddy
08/23/2015, 05:37 AM
Good morning reefers, I'm going to be building a sump from a 55 gal tank for a 220gal tank. I'll be using an old turboflotor 1000 skimmer that I know creates a huge amount of micro bubbles. It has a trickle filter that removes the bubbles, but I don't want to use it because of the space it takes up. I want as much room as possible for a refugium compartment with a deep sand bed.
How effective are bubble traps in a sump? I was thinking of doing drain/skimmer, bubble trap, refugium, bubble trap, return.
Any advice?

Thanks!

laga77
08/23/2015, 07:02 AM
The effectiveness of removing bubbles is going to determined by the flow rate and height of the baffles. You can put in multiple baffles, and lower the top of one of the baffles to slow down the water to give the bubbles time to reach the surface. Bad part is, you won`t know until you build it and test. After building my latest sump, I was still getting too many bubbles into the return chamber. I wedged some foam filter material in between the first two baffles at the top to stop the bubbles. It works good and acts like a mechanical filter. It just needs to be cleaned on a regular basis.