PDA

View Full Version : DIY HOB overflow box question?

BayStYat
08/23/2015, 12:11 PM
What would be the problem with taking a Aquaclear 30 and adding a bulk head fitting in the basket. From there the water would be pumped down to the sump? If it was to plug up wouldn't the water just redirect back into the tank?

am I missing something obvious ?

thanks

ericarenee
08/23/2015, 12:26 PM
What would be the problem with taking a Aquaclear 30 and adding a bulk head fitting in the basket. From there the water would be pumped down to the sump? If it was to plug up wouldn't the water just redirect back into the tank?

am I missing something obvious ?

thanks

You are missing the entire concept of what a OVER FLOW BOX DOES..
Its essentially a DAM...

Your pump down inside your sump tank pumps water up into the display tank.It Basically over flows water out of the tank and into the Over flow box.. The top of this box must be at water level height. The hob filter pulls water out of the tank and into a box that is HIGHER Then the tank and it over flows back into the tank...

So to use a hob filter .. You would need to drill holes in your tank at the water level and bulkhead into the hob.... In my mind it would be more trouble then just building a Correct over flow..

Here is mine as a example..... The plumbing inside the external box is not how it shows in the image... i was just testing to see what would fit..

The thin box goes on the inside of the tank thicker one on the outside. With a Bulkhead in between

Not adjusted correctly in the image above. but you can see how the water level is LOWER in the Rear box. The amount of water in this box is controlled by how much water the pump can push over the dam (top of internal box) Then thru the bulkhead holes.

This is just another image of the two boxes . Again the thin one is on the inside of the tank . The bigger on the outside..
The doors you see behind them is actually in the Bathroom behind my tank.... The plumbing goes to my basement where my sump/ Filter stuff is out.......

Hope this helps you understand better why your Thoughts are Flawed....

Good Luck

BayStYat
08/23/2015, 07:12 PM
thanks

BayStYat
08/24/2015, 06:57 AM
kjk

fishgate
08/24/2015, 10:32 AM
It would work but you would lose your surface skimming. It would also be a total PITA to balance with your return pump, if even possible.