PDA

View Full Version : Is this a mushroom coral?


PfenWendt
08/24/2015, 12:37 PM
So i was at my LFS and saw this coral, it looks awesome and I want to add it to my tank, but i want to know what it is before i get it, The store employee said it was a mushroom coral but i've personally never seen one that looks like this, If it is a mushroom any help to ID it would be greatly appreciated, and if its not i'll post in the appropriate forum for an ID :)

http://imgur.com/XUcpByg,QRhL02G#0

PfenWendt
08/24/2015, 12:38 PM
Don't know if that will actually show the image, but if not here is the link to the imgur page, http://imgur.com/XUcpByg,QRhL02G#0

jmareef1022
08/24/2015, 01:03 PM
Yes it is a mushroom..looks like a green fuzzy mushroom

PfenWendt
08/24/2015, 01:20 PM
Thanks for the quick response jmareef, I think i might end up going back to pick up this shroom....Looks insane with blue actinics on... And to think i never planned on putting mushrooms in my tank...

jmareef1022
08/24/2015, 02:52 PM
No problem...Yes mushrooms are nice..they come in different colors and shapes..some with a more powerful sting than others..the green fuzzy mushroom in particular is nice aswell..You are right the color under blues are nice the green really pops out..I actually have some myself..fyi theydo get pretty huge.

PfenWendt
08/24/2015, 06:07 PM
Yea, the people at the shop were saying its almost doubled in size in the past week...so that'll be fun :P

PfenWendt
08/24/2015, 06:10 PM
So this may be a stupid question, but i've never kept mushrooms so i've never had experience. From what i'm reading throughout various forums in that mushrooms can release a toxin, is there a way to....prevent i suppose or any way that would least likely lead to it effecting other corals?

otakujoe
08/28/2015, 10:52 PM
I have many mushrooms and am unaware of any toxins. Palythoa and Zoanthids can have palytoxin, which is potentially dangerous to corals and reef keepers.

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/personal-experiences-with-palytoxin-poisoning-almost-killed-myself-wife-and-dogs

JamesHolt
09/08/2015, 04:15 AM
Some of them can spit water out when handled, it has tiny barbs in it..
When I bought mine from LFS he warned me about handling them as he had one spit water in his eye and wound up going to the ER to get the barbs out of his eye..
He said they had to take a piece of gauze and wipe it across his eyeball to snag the barbs..

The fuzzy/hairy mushrooms will get huge also, 6" and bigger..Mine will change size dramatically, depending on how happy they are..
My green hairy shrooms
http://i1323.photobucket.com/albums/u595/druknar/3GreenHairy_zpstlggh9b9.jpg

Babies
http://i1323.photobucket.com/albums/u595/druknar/Greenhairybaby_zpsyphg49dt.jpg

mzkrista
09/13/2015, 09:58 AM
Always wear eye protection and rubber gloves when handling coral and fragging. You never know. Better to be safe then sorry

Deton8it
09/15/2015, 07:21 AM
I saw a Fuzzy Grass mushroom on Saturday that was 8-10 inches across. I have seen several Giant Cup mushrooms that big but never a Fuzzy Grass. It was a monster.


John