PDA

View Full Version : Help me, please! Death of percula in the process of fattening!!

emperador
08/24/2015, 02:32 PM
Dear friends,
Iím Fernando from Santa Fe, Argentina and I really need your help because I no longer know what to do need I donít want to medicate just for the instance of medicating fishes without knowing exactly what it may be affecting them.
I will describe the facts in details
I have a fattening system of 250 lts. approximately, separated in three different ponds of 65 lts. each and the rest belongs to the sump. I have also got a skimmer according to the litres, a water return of 2500 lts. I have 4 lts of sera siporax and 15 kg of live rock as a biological filter and I change 120 lts of water weekly. The whole system is joined under an only sump.
The problem: I had 400 orange perculas from 100 to 150 days old and whose size went from 2cm to 3.5cm. More than 150 of them have been sold successfully and in good health. But in the last weeks we have lost fishes in our system. We associated it to the weakest and smallest ones and the lack of nutrition Ė since the big ones eat a lot and do not leave much food to the rest. We are feeding them with TDO C from othoime. We also noticed that some of the fishes left long white threads when they defecated. We turned on the heating, we fed them more times a day and the issue got better. But three days ago, I started to suffer the death of 10 to 15 fishes daily without any apparent reasons. They are no longer the weakest and the smallest. They are 3 cm fishes!!! That is driving me crazy because I canít find anything wrong. I know I will find some other dead ones and I will check their skin in the microscope to check if there is something in their skin.
System detils:
Amoniac : 0 -- salifert
Nitrite: 0 - salifert
Nitrate: less than 25 - salifert
Density: 1020 Ė refractometer
Temperature between 26 C y 28 C digital thermometer
We havenít noticed anything strange in fishes; no white spots, no agitation!! Ėbut they are dying without any visible reason.
We do have noticed in 4 of the dead specimens they lack their tails and I have also identified the same problem in some of the live ones. The problem is on their tails and not on their fins Ė so I think that is due to fights.
Thanks a lot for your time and help. Any piece of advice would be of great help!!!
Greetings

shifty51008
08/24/2015, 04:33 PM
You say there is white stringy poo? If so that is a bacterial infection which should be treated. Im not sure of the meds to use though you will wanna ask in the fish desiease forum.

Are all the fish from the same batch? I have never had any fighting to the point of looseing tails from clowns in the same batch, now if they were from diff batches then i can see them fighting

ichthyogeek
08/24/2015, 08:48 PM
Have you done an autopsy yet on the dead specimens? Not just the skin, but also the inner organs? Additionally, have you tried feeding anything else? I have no experience with breeding nor Otohime, but could it potentially be a nutrition issue? What about lighting? I know that some dottybacks need light or else they run a risk of dying (idk bout the validity of this, but I'm pretty sure I read it from a credible source).

lts, means Liters/Litres, right? So you're growing your fish out in about 21 gallon tanks, right? Could it be a crowding issue then?

Sorry I can't help, but I can ask questions that may/may not help...I'm really more of a theory guy than a practical guy at the moment when it comes to fish breeding.

emperador
08/25/2015, 02:33 PM
Thank you very much for your comments

ginpang
08/25/2015, 05:02 PM
Difficult to say We can't see your fish , but fish who poop stringy translucent tubes usually means internal parasites... Have you tried praziquantel on a few of them ? Missing tails though is probably something different.

kizanne
08/25/2015, 06:58 PM
+1 on the Prazi. When my fish had white stringy poo it was internal flukes.

CoralsAddiction
08/25/2015, 10:10 PM
+1 on the Prazi.

This^^^ it's reef safe too.

emperador
08/26/2015, 06:53 AM
thank you very much for your comments, I will put into practice