PDA

View Full Version : Ammonia in Salt mix

Apartmenttank
08/24/2015, 07:06 PM
I have been having slight ammonia issues(constant .1-.25) sense i moved my tank and it started a mini cycle. I was doing daily water changes and dosing with prime to not hurt the fish. Well i was told to stop the prime and water changes and let the tank have atleast 2 days untouched(and check to make sure ammonia isn't rising)

After 2 days ammonia was at 0 so i figured it was the prime giving a false reading. But today i checked my Mix of salt water on a hunch and it tested for .25 ammonia...

What do i do? is it just a bad bunch of salt?! do i need to get new salt or is there a way i can remove the ammonia from the salt?

blanden.adam
08/24/2015, 07:22 PM
What salt and what test are you using? An ammonia level of 0.25 in a salt mix would be highly irregular.

CHSUB
08/24/2015, 07:32 PM
yes, there is usually ammonia in salt mixes!

API test kits will give slight ammonia reading(.25) on most salt mixes, not to worry imo.

Apartmenttank
08/24/2015, 08:03 PM
Using API, Salt is Instant ocean it came with the used tank, idk what is the best salt i should get yet.

blanden.adam
08/24/2015, 08:10 PM
yes, there is usually ammonia in salt mixes!

API test kits will give slight ammonia reading(.25) on most salt mixes, not to worry imo.

There is some, but 0.25 ppm is quite high. But agreed, API test kit will often show 0.25 when the level is much lower.

Your IO salt is fine. Most salt mixes are more or less the same, and any of the major brands will be fine for a reef.

blanden.adam
08/24/2015, 08:11 PM
IO salt is fine.