PDA

View Full Version : Air stone

Nicoleriver
08/26/2015, 11:33 AM
I read about having an airstone in my unused stored water, to keep it circulating. I store my water in a 10g bucket with a tightly sealed lid. Are their recommendations for one that I can use? Do they need to be plugged in or is there something that can still produce the aeration? If not, how does one do this with having to keep it sealed?

anthonys51
08/26/2015, 11:51 AM
some salt mixtures can sit stagnate while some need to be aerated. can i ask why you are storing the water in the first place

thegrun
08/26/2015, 02:53 PM
If your salt mix does not contain organics (some have amino acids) it can be stored indefinitely without the need for an air stone or water movement. I regularly make a months worth of saltwater and then use it over the next 4-5 weeks.

Nicoleriver
08/26/2015, 09:51 PM
some salt mixtures can sit stagnate while some need to be aerated. can i ask why you are storing the water in the first place
Closest place to get water is over a half hour drive, I can only get it every three to four weeks. So unless I can get it on Amazon... And there's nothing wrong with storing it as long as it's done properly, which is what I'm asking advise on. I usually have a 10g of fresh rodi and a 10g of salt that I've made. It's a small 15 gallon tank, Noone has mentioned aerating it so far, I just read something today so I thought I would ask about it.

Nicoleriver
08/26/2015, 09:53 PM
If your salt mix does not contain organics (some have amino acids) it can be stored indefinitely without the need for an air stone or water movement. I regularly make a months worth of saltwater and then use it over the next 4-5 weeks.
What if it does have organics and how would I know? Recommendations on those that don't?

anthonys51
08/26/2015, 09:55 PM
Depends on the salt mix. If you use ones Ruth organics in it like reef pro. The ph might drop in the saltwater because of the build up of hydrogen sulfide. That's why you have to
Aerate it