PDA

View Full Version : Chemiclean red slime remover?

Fishkeeper44
08/26/2015, 04:01 PM
First of all I just wanted to say I'm not really a beginner. I was just wondering if this stuff is good? I don't really want to dose right now because I just got a leopard wrasse (which is eating pe mysis) and I don't want to stress her out but anyways is it reef, invert, and fish safe? Is it effective? Thanks.

Sk8r
08/26/2015, 04:55 PM
Try a 3 day on room lights only once a month. You do need a skimmer to make this work.
There's no real urgency to remove this stuff. It's episodic, in most tanks.

heathlindner25
08/26/2015, 05:31 PM
try to download a picture and let's see what you're looking at

gone fishin
08/26/2015, 05:42 PM
Awhile back I tried some to see what the buzz was all about. It did do what it stated it would do. I will say that I will not use it again. It seemed pretty hard on my critters. Just my 2 cents.

Mikefromaz
10/15/2015, 11:54 PM
I have used this stuff for years without a problem. Clean as much cyanocobalamin by hand and be prepared for a second dose. It works.

Singlefin
10/16/2015, 02:51 AM
I've used it twice. 8 months ago and last month no problems. Last month I was getting a little pop up in my tank and sump. Cleared it right up. Used a little less than recommended since it wasn't to bad of an outbreak. Don't use more than recommended.

Live Rockin
10/16/2015, 08:40 AM
I have used this once after trying no lights on 2 different occasions to just see the Cyno come back. this stuff worked for me and didn't seem to effect any of my inverts, fish or corals. It did make my skimmer go nuts and overflow for hours, but then it went back to normal.

ReefWreak
10/16/2015, 08:44 AM
You can use it, but I would only use it as a last resort, and also keep in mind, like sk8er said, it's episodic. If you don't fix the underlining problem (higher nutrients, particularly more phosphate than nitrate), then it'll come back. And chemiclean does kill a lot of bacteria in your tank, not just the cyano.

So I would siphon it out or just use a powerhead to blow it away, do some multi-day dark cycles, and reduce nutrient load in your tank (reduce feeding, make sure fish are eating everything that goes into the tank). And I would keep chemiclean as a last resort.

JammyBirch
10/16/2015, 08:46 AM
I got rid of this stuff with the lights out approach, not a fan of magic chemicals.

leemosh
10/16/2015, 10:03 AM
I had a bad bout of cyano in my 30 gallon that just wouldn't go away, so I tried this stuff. It worked and I haven't seen it come back since (been about 4 months). As far as I could tell, nothing bad happened to anything in the tank. I don't have a lot of delicate things in my tank though.

Mikefromaz
10/16/2015, 10:34 AM
First of all I just wanted to say I'm not really a beginner. I was just wondering if this stuff is good? I don't really want to dose right now because I just got a leopard wrasse (which is eating pe mysis) and I don't want to stress her out but anyways is it reef, invert, and fish safe? Is it effective? Thanks.
Never had a bit of problem using this stuff. If you have cyano on the sand the odds are it might be thick. This stuff grows in layers between 1/8 and 1/4 inches depending on how long it went untreated. Get those spots out, greatly increasing the efficiency of the chemi-clean.

Dogshowgrl
10/16/2015, 04:31 PM
I have found in my research that Chemi-clean is erythromycin. An antibiotic, so yes it kills bacteria, and it is a pretty broad spectrum one at that. I have used it twice when my tanks got way out of hand and would use it again if needed. It bought me a fresh start to see if I could get the underlying problem solve in each of my young tanks. I like the product but I recommend only useing when needed.

Justintegra
10/16/2015, 04:44 PM
I just solved my cyano outbreak by doing 5 gallon water changes every other day (literally). Get your nitrates and phosphates in check and it will go away naturally.

Took about 7 water changes, suckling out the cyano each time.

lpsouth1978
10/16/2015, 07:40 PM
We recently had a cyano outbreak that we were unable to get ahead of. We got all of our params under control, lowered P04 and N and still the cyano continued and was begining to choke out corals. As a last resort we dosed Chemiclean, and within 2 days most of the cyano was gone. What little was left, we were able to suck out with a turkey baster. No corals, fish, or inverts showed any signs of stress.

For us it was a "reset button" of sorts. We had all of our params in check, but could not get rid of what was already in the tank. The Chemiclean, simply broke the will of the cyano, allowing us to evict it.

ghellin
10/16/2015, 07:52 PM
I have used it once. Never again will I use it. It worked yes, but I also found it does more harm to the bacteria balance in your tank than you want. I followed directions carefully ran lots of oxygen and so forth. CUC, corals, fish, all did fine no losses but it came back as many above stated it will. I have started a few systems from scratch and inevitably cyano happens. I have found by finding the root cause, managing nutrients, correcting flow issues, manual removal, and finally letting it run its course, it goes away on its own and has not come back. I am not a scientist, but I have found through my own research and trial/error if you let algae and cyano run it's course it tends to never return. your results may vary but as they say an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure....

Mikefromaz
10/16/2015, 08:06 PM
Here is what I have discovered. My nitrates have never come close to be above 5ppm. My phos. measures .03 (hanna). That being said I still have an occasional cyano outbreak. When dosing phyto I noticed several slow speed vortices among the rocks. This without fail is where my "outbreaks" start. It suggests to me that there are localized high nutrient areas which are masked by the greater (cleaner) water volume
Probably a good example as to why powerboats work to control cyano

Mikefromaz
10/16/2015, 08:07 PM
Sheesh...powerheads.