PDA

View Full Version : Elegance coral information?

Bent
08/26/2015, 10:26 PM
I just got a huge Aussie elegance frag, and I'm trying to nail down some solid husbandry info.

I remember these things were hardy back in the day and everyone had them, so I didn't think much about it when I got it.

However, apparently it seems people are having a hard time with them these days and many are dying, which is strange.

So does anyone have any info they can link me to on what I need to be doing differently these days to take care of it? I know this has probably been discussed a hundred times and I'm not wanting spoon fed here. But if someone could take the time to link me to some articles or threads, I would be grateful.

Budman422
08/27/2015, 07:02 AM
I don't have any articles or threads. But I have several and they do best on the bottom in sandbed feed once in a while and stabil alkalinity and calcium I have also found a little flow is good

Tweaked
08/27/2015, 07:42 AM
Copied my post on your other thread:
There is a low success rate indeed for c. jardenei. Many write ups on this specimen and the biggest factor to loss is typically lighting. They have to be very slowly acclimated to reef lighting, unless you don't have good lighting to begin with. Like other walling stony coral, receiving an undamaged healthy specimen from across the world is hit or miss. GL

Tweaked
08/27/2015, 07:43 AM
oh and hit up Budman, see his "eye candy" post below!

Bent
08/27/2015, 11:39 AM
Thanks tweaked!

Do I need to feed this guy? Like a nem?

Tweaked
08/27/2015, 12:03 PM
They love food like most lps do. I like to try and get meats into the mouth at least once a week. Other than that, my 20 fish feed my corals!

rogersb
08/27/2015, 12:21 PM
I've had one for years and never fed it. It's beautiful. Maybe it would help with growth if that's important to you.

Budman422
08/27/2015, 12:52 PM
I feed my whole tank heavy every day and my corals benifit

Tweaked
08/27/2015, 01:17 PM
^^ this. But when I do, my fish swarm and the coral doesn't eat until the food comes out the other end :lmao:

Bent
08/27/2015, 02:09 PM
^^ this. But when I do, my fish swarm and the coral doesn't eat until the food comes out the other end :lmao:

I usually drop a frozen cube of mysis in, or occasionally a big pinch of marine flake.

It "snows".