PDA

View Full Version : How many actually live in an aquarium?!?

MadReefist
08/27/2015, 03:29 AM
Er, How many actual living organisms in an(y given) aquarium?!?

In this rich community, this ought to be good.....

Of course this could go wild in so many different ways under a controlled test group. But perhaps if we could set that: Say a 20 gallon aquarium with 'normal' 'expected' contents. I dont know so I wont dictate. But the questions surrounding just how many lives we put at stake in screwing up is one that inherently insists...

Windy2
08/27/2015, 06:58 AM
How many in an ant farm? Should we include bacteria?

MadReefist
08/27/2015, 12:42 PM
Damn. I meant to post this in general discussion, as I intend more serious posts in this category, but I had a few too many at the time (if this could be moved there it'd help with this hangover).

However in a room full of professional marine biologists their responses to this challenge would still make for brilliant television no? There surely exist procedures to the task which have names that would enlighten us aquarists....

Ron Reefman
08/28/2015, 03:10 PM
Did you know that the human body has more bacteria in the gut than the total number of cells in the entire human body? There is roughly 100 time more non human DNA in us than there is human DNA.

I figure the aquarium is very similar. Too many bacteria to even get a rough estimate.

Sk8r
08/28/2015, 03:53 PM
I did once count species after cycle with all live rock. 53 distinct species so far as this not-too-expert eye could discern, and this is just what the naked eye could see.

I just kind of wince when people do in that diversity.