PDA

View Full Version : ca reactor

pimp2daizzo
08/27/2015, 07:58 AM
I recently noticed my MRC CR-2 is starting to slack on keeping up on the demand in my 150g sps system. what would you guys do add a kalk reactor, dosing pump with two parts, or just buy a bigger reactor?

swk
08/27/2015, 08:00 AM
I would add a kalk reactor personally. Calrx and kalk go together very well. Otherwise, if you can't increase the co2 and/or effluent - then get a bigger reactor. What's the effluent rate and ph? Media?

rehab
08/27/2015, 08:36 AM
Also, check your remaining media in the reactor. If there is less than 25-40%, depending on the demand of your tank, you might need to keep the media at 60% or higher to keep up with the consumption rate. I have to do this to my tank as the demand keep on increasing. Or get a bigger reactor as suggested above.

pimp2daizzo
08/27/2015, 09:39 AM
I would add a kalk reactor personally. Calrx and kalk go together very well. Otherwise, if you can't increase the co2 and/or effluent - then get a bigger reactor. What's the effluent rate and ph? Media?

have measured the rate but i had to dial it back to get my alk stable at 7dkh the media is ARMS course.

pimp2daizzo
08/27/2015, 09:40 AM
Also, check your remaining media in the reactor. If there is less than 25-40%, depending on the demand of your tank, you might need to keep the media at 60% or higher to keep up with the consumption rate. I have to do this to my tank as the demand keep on increasing. Or get a bigger reactor as suggested above.

i'm adding media every 3 week now to keep it above 60%

rehab
08/27/2015, 10:28 AM
Sound like you probably will need a bigger reactor. I'm using a geo624, rated for 400 gallons tank, in my 230g to keep up with the demand. Don't go by the gallon rated by the Rx manufacturer. The demand will be driven by the inhabitants of your tank.

swk
08/27/2015, 10:37 AM
What's the ph in the reactor? Is the effluent streaming out, or dripping?

pimp2daizzo
08/28/2015, 07:49 AM
Sound like you probably will need a bigger reactor. I'm using a geo624, rated for 400 gallons tank, in my 230g to keep up with the demand. Don't go by the gallon rated by the Rx manufacturer. The demand will be driven by the inhabitants of your tank.

yep made that mistake with this MRC i had a reactor from aquamedic that was rated for 200g but held more media then the MRC.

pimp2daizzo
08/28/2015, 07:53 AM
What's the ph in the reactor? Is the effluent streaming out, or dripping?

drip

swk
08/28/2015, 08:13 AM
drip

Then you can increase the flow of your effluent. Get it increased and check you alk. If it's still low you might need to increase the gas as well as the ph in the reactor will rise once you move water through it quicker. But go slow. You can have water streaming out of that thing.

Do you know the ph inside the reactor? This is very important as well