PDA

View Full Version : My wrasse has gotten timid

schatzi
08/27/2015, 09:45 AM
I have had a red velvet fairy wrasse (Cirrhilabrus rubrisquamis) in my tank for about 2 months now and just in the last few days he's gotten very timid and spends almost all of his time around his rock. When he does move away from the rock he never goes more than a foot and a half (6ft tank). Prior to this he was very active all over the tank, ate great and i never saw aggression between him and any of the others. The other fish being a Foxface, Oc Clown, hawkfish, Chromis, Kole Tang, Yellow Tail Damsel, and a Coral Beauty Angel. Currently he is eating ok, but not as much as had been. Feeding sp brine, brine, mysis and flakes. During feedings, usually 3 a day, occasionally twice, I'm targeting his area and this seems to help. Also currently I see no aggression between him and any of the others, they all seem to interact just fine and nobody appears territorial. Prior to being in the DT I had him in QT for 6 weeks and he was awesome. Always out, ate everything I gave him from the first day and showed no issues. He currently looks healthy & swims fine, just has gotten shy. Is this common behavior?

Current parameters SG 1.025, Nitrates 0, Phosphate .02 (running GFO), Ca 415, Alk 9.2, ph 8.13, temp this week has been 78 - 82. DT is 125g with another 170g in the sump, fuge, and two remote tanks holding a few other fish.

Thanks for any input.

evolved
08/27/2015, 04:04 PM
So it's only been in the DT ~2 weeks? Sounds to me like another tank mate is intimidating him.

schatzi
08/27/2015, 04:21 PM
a little under 2 months

CoralsAddiction
08/27/2015, 04:45 PM
Sounds to me like another tank mate is intimidating him.

+1. Probably Kole tang, damsel or hawkfish...may be clowns if they are mating and protecting eggs.

Deinonych
08/27/2015, 07:09 PM
About a month ago, my Kole decided he didn't like my McCosker's wrasse, and wouldn't let him come out of the rockwork in the morning. The wrasse would eventually "sneak" out of the rockwork around noon when the Kole was busy picking at the rocks/overflow. Even so, the wrasse was very timid for a while and would retreat to the rocks at the slightest hint of aggression from any of my other fish. The bullying from the Kole eventually subsided after a couple weeks, and things are back to normal.

schatzi
08/28/2015, 06:30 AM
I would tend to agree with you but i don't see any agression at all. The only fish ever territorial is the clown to the damsel and the wrasse spends almost all his time with the clown. Maybe they are just friends? The clowns home corner is where the wrasse is almost all of the time now. And lastly when the wrasse is around any other fish there is just nothing that looks like aggression so i don't know. He is still eating so i guess I'll wait it out and see what happens.

evolved
08/28/2015, 12:12 PM
I would tend to agree with you but i don't see any agression at all. The only fish ever territorial is the clown to the damsel and the wrasse spends almost all his time with the clown. Maybe they are just friends? The clowns home corner is where the wrasse is almost all of the time now. And lastly when the wrasse is around any other fish there is just nothing that looks like aggression so i don't know. He is still eating so i guess I'll wait it out and see what happens.
That makes me strongly think the damsel is the aggressor, and the clown is providing some protection.