PDA

View Full Version : First time using Chaeto. What do I need to know?

ReefNole
08/27/2015, 06:41 PM
Hi all,

So I've converted a Penguin Bio-Wheel 330 into a DIY fuge by removing the bio-wheels, adding egg crate and filter floss, and throwing a 16" aquarium light on top.

I just purchased a softball of chaeto from my LFS, and it is LOADED with hitchhikers. Mostly, dozens of tiny brittle sea stars, as well as pods swimming everywhere and a few bristle worms. I've done a fair amount of research on hitchhikers, and I know for the most part, what I've listed above is good and welcome in a reef. However, I also noticed some bubble algae floating around the bag, so I know I'll need to take that out before putting it in the tank. Other than that, is there anything specific I should keep an eye out for while digging around for the bubble algae? And can too many brittle sea stars be a bad thing?

One follow-up as well, is there any rhyme or reason to when it needs to be trimmed? I know it needs to flow fairly easily, but if there's an easy metric as to when to remove the excess, I'd like to know.

Thanks in advance as always!

laga77
08/27/2015, 07:57 PM
I would throw out the whole bag and get one without bubble algae. Once you get it, you will hate it.

thegrun
08/27/2015, 08:49 PM
I tend to agree, I would avoid using the chaeto. That said, it likes lots of light, I flip my chaeto ball over a couple of times a week so the algae on the bottom of the ball gets light or it will die. You trim it when the space you are keeping it in gets crowded and the chaeto ball gets dense.

MandM
08/27/2015, 08:53 PM
You may want to put it into a QT tank to make sure you have all the bubble algae out. 4 weeks would be ideal, to make sure you don't introduce ich or some other yuck into your system.

Chaeto needs to be able to tumble freely. A good water flow and room to roll around is best.

You won't have a problem with a bunch of brittle stars. They eat leftover food and the population will go up and down with food supply.

Dkuhlmann
08/28/2015, 05:26 AM
You may want to put it into a QT tank to make sure you have all the bubble algae out. 4 weeks would be ideal, to make sure you don't introduce ich or some other yuck into your system.

Chaeto needs to be able to tumble freely. A good water flow and room to roll around is best.

You won't have a problem with a bunch of brittle stars. They eat leftover food and the population will go up and down with food supply.

Please explain why it needs to tumble.

Ron Reefman
08/28/2015, 07:49 AM
It may do better if it tumbles, but it doesn't need to IMHO.

I have a 2'x2'x18" fuge (45g) and there are times it becomes a solid block of cheato and it keep growing. The bottom can get a bit grungy, but I roll it over every 2 or 3 weeks and it's fine. I never see anything on the bottom that would cause me to have any concerns. I end up harvesting a gallon ziplock bag or two every few months. It does do a bit better if it has room, but it's never been a big deal and it still grows.

Dkuhlmann
08/28/2015, 08:16 AM
Ron, I do the same that is why I asked about this tumble thing. Really no need for it if you turn it often as I do. Mine looks great and I'm harvesting some this weekend.

tzylak
08/28/2015, 01:13 PM
I have a mini-fudge in my sump. -A plastic 2-gallon Costco pretzel jar. It works great!! No tumbling, just a 65W LED light on a timer, with circulating pump sucking the water out and several slits letting the water into the jar. I painted it to keep all the light inside, otherwise light makes stuff grow everywhere making the sump look messy.
Chaeto grows like crazy, I throw out half of it every month. Since I placed it in my sump my Nitrate has been near zero.
You need to trim it, otherwise it will grow beyond the nutrient availability and will begin to decompose on you to release what it absorbed.
Have fun

laga77
08/28/2015, 01:26 PM
I only turn mine once a week. For the lighting, I do have 1ooW 6500K CFL above and on the side. Between the two tanks, I harvest half a 5 gallon bucket a month.