PDA

View Full Version : Filter sock chamber?

troylong45
08/27/2015, 09:00 PM
I'm adding socks to my sump it has a chamber the pipes run into and then overflow over into the flush seated sock how high can I have it above water lever and be silent to compensate for display back drainage when pumps are off ? Pic included it as well has a 1 in baffle to contain all the water into the sock and can overflow if clogged 700gph siccie syco 3. (Spelling error for sure lol) is this 1 inch lip sufficient to contain water in filter sock chamber?

troylong45
08/27/2015, 09:01 PM
The sock tray is 5x12

slief
08/28/2015, 09:39 AM
I'm adding socks to my sump it has a chamber the pipes run into and then overflow over into the flush seated sock how high can I have it above water lever and be silent to compensate for display back drainage when pumps are off ? Pic included it as well has a 1 in baffle to contain all the water into the sock and can overflow if clogged 700gph siccie syco 3. (Spelling error for sure lol) is this 1 inch lip sufficient to contain water in filter sock chamber?

1/2" lip or even less should be sufficient to contain the water in the sock tray. My lips are about 1/4". That said, I'm not sure what you are asking as far as how high it can be for it to be silent. You want the drain line for the tank to be fully submersed so it's not crashing into the water. The top of the sock can be a few inches or more above the water. You will have a bit of a waterfall in there but as you noted, you need space for excess water when the return pump is off. If you are concerned about noise, just add a cover to your sump. It will help reduce noise as well as evaporation. My sump and primary refugium are both covered and I wouldn't have it any other way.

slief
08/28/2015, 09:46 AM
Here is a shot that shows my sock trays. The lips are about 1/4". My socks sit in routed out holes that have the sock lip flush with the tray.
http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo347/shleif/Tanks/Lanthanum2.jpg

This is shot of the covered sump. You can see how the drain lines connect to bulkheads and below the bulkheads are PVC pipes that extend the drain lines well below the water to mitigate the crashing caused by the drains.
http://i390.photobucket.com/albums/oo347/shleif/Tanks/fd6462f9-a17a-4141-8adb-6c56a0cdb096_zpsdnfvmyuy.jpg

troylong45
08/28/2015, 10:12 AM
I will,have the lines submerged 5in or so. So is I have the sock 1in above water level and it water falls into the sock would this make a lot of noise could u take a video so I can see it water fall in and listen to it

slief
08/28/2015, 05:49 PM
I will,have the lines submerged 5in or so. So is I have the sock 1in above water level and it water falls into the sock would this make a lot of noise could u take a video so I can see it water fall in and listen to it

1" shouldn't be bad at all and I wouldn't reduce that anymore anyway.. In my case, it wouldn't be a fair comparison. I have my sump covered but I also run nearly 3000 GPH through my four 7" socks which are 6" above the water level and I don't run a durso so my overflow is loud. My system is completely enclosed behind sound insulated drywall with solid core doors above and below the tank so noise isn't an issue for me at all. My system is remarkably quiet with my sumps covered and with the doors closed above and below the tank. With the doors open, it's another story but to me, that kind of noise is the sound of added oxygen which is always a good thing. That is one of the reason why I don't run durso's and instead allow my water to crash 22" down to the bottom of my overflow and with my tank built in the way it is and the overflow and sumps covered, you can't hear it anyway.

troylong45
08/28/2015, 05:53 PM
O lol ok i see now. Thanks well looks like it will actually be 2 inches but I'm going to try to make my return larger so it can make up for the rise of water well see thanks again

slief
08/28/2015, 05:56 PM
O lol ok i see now. Thanks well looks like it will actually be 2 inches but I'm going to try to make my return larger so it can make up for the rise of water well see thanks again

See my edits above. You gain some added o2 from the waterfall effect and that's generally not a bad thing. You can do thing to help mitigate the noise too. Things like coveres over your sump as mentioned earlier and a bit of sound proofing below the tank will go a long way to silencing your system if it's not quiet enough.

troylong45
08/28/2015, 05:59 PM
Ok it's near dead quite now all I hear if a very faint electric hum from the return pump so I'm trying to mantain that lol . But trial an error is the only way in most cases but I thought I would be ok with my planed 1-2 inch drop so well see lol

troylong45
08/28/2015, 06:03 PM
Ill probably tack it in place with super glue and see if it holds long enough to test it