PDA

View Full Version : Can you keep two different torch corals next to each other?

undbulsu
08/28/2015, 08:14 AM
I understand the sweeper tentacles and stinging other species of coral, but I think I read somewhere that you could keep two torch corals next to each other with no issues. Thanks.

ncaldwell
08/28/2015, 08:16 AM
I have torches, branching hammers and BTA's all brushing against each other. Not constantly but they do touch with no visible reaction

tmz
08/28/2015, 10:44 AM
Usually, yes of the same species. The nematocysts are similar enough that they don't harm each other .

Esage
08/28/2015, 11:18 AM
I have torches, branching hammers and BTA's all brushing against each other. Not constantly but they do touch with no visible reaction

I wish I could say the same. My hammer and BTA had an all out war, had to re aquascape. I do keep my torch, hammer, and frogspawn all in touching distance of one another.

MondoBongo
08/28/2015, 11:52 AM
usually yes.

i actually had a green torch come in as a single little polyp on the side of a frogspawn i bought. over time it grew and i ended up placing it on the same rock with my gold torch which i had purchased separately. they didn't seem to have any problems, and sat together, touching quite close for over a year.

i would keep an eye out for any tentacles that appear to "stick" to one another on the different corals. that can be a good visual indicator that some kind of stinging is taking place.

as far as other euphyllia, i've never tried it.