PDA

View Full Version : Clam-Tastic!

Xxero
08/28/2015, 08:47 AM
I wanted a trophy clam for this tank, so I made my Maxima a cradle-perch...

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j383/bobbybean7/127_zpsss8a6irx.jpg

I poured Hydraulic cement into a cheap glass vase, and smoothed out a cradle form as the concrete began to set...

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j383/bobbybean7/129_zpsx3byk1wz.jpg

Once cured, I just broke off the glass and let it soak in some RO/DI water for a while...

The Maxima attached, and it seems to enjoy being in the spotlight. :bigeyes:

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j383/bobbybean7/130_zpsedi1lhc7.jpg

MondoBongo
08/28/2015, 08:53 AM
that's pretty darn ingenuous. good work.

Xxero
08/28/2015, 09:50 AM
Thank you, Mondo.

My son said that it looked like a pipe from Mario Bros!:lolspin:

I like it because it's stable and yet still mobile. I think it would look cool to make a couple of more at slightly different heights. Then Mario could get to the upper level where the golden coins are. :lol:

spieszak
08/28/2015, 10:05 AM
Watch you pH with concrete. May never be a problem, just keep an eye on it

tlc
08/28/2015, 10:06 AM
where do you get hydraulic cement ? how long does it take to cure ? what a great clam nest

laga77
08/28/2015, 10:30 AM
There should be no reason to use hydraulic cement instead of a regular concrete mix. A plain concrete mix is as simple as it gets. Cement, sand, and some type of stone as aggregate. Hydraulic contains additional chemicals to speed up set time, and unlike regular cement which shrinks when it cures, it expands. This is why it is used to seals cracks that are leaking. Are these chemicals dangerous to a reef aquarium? I don`t know, but why take a chance. Great idea BTW.

Bent
08/28/2015, 10:36 AM
Wonder if I should try this for my derasa.

Xxero
08/28/2015, 10:44 AM
Watch you pH with concrete. May never be a problem, just keep an eye on it

Yes. I read about the possible pH leaching...something about Hydrogen ions and the such, so I will be keeping an eye on that!
tlc where do you get hydraulic cement ? how long does it take to cure ? what a great clam nest

Lowes. Around $8 for 10 lbs of mix.

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j383/bobbybean7/2008_zpskdepnuet.jpg

laga77 There should be no reason to use hydraulic cement instead of a regular concrete mix. A plain concrete mix is as simple as it gets. Cement, sand, and some type of stone as aggregate. Hydraulic contains additional chemicals to speed up set time, and unlike regular cement which shrinks when it cures, it expands. This is why it is used to seals cracks that are leaking. Are these chemicals dangerous to a reef aquarium? I don`t know, but why take a chance. Great idea BTW.

I agree with all of this, although with this project, the cement didn't expand. I was kind of hoping that it would as it set, so that maybe it would crack the glass away on its own. I only went with the Hydraulic version because that's what I've read others using to affix their rockwork together. I'll definitely keep an eye on things. ;)

MondoBongo
08/28/2015, 10:46 AM
Are these chemicals dangerous to a reef aquarium? I don`t know, but why take a chance. Great idea BTW.

no. they're not.

myself and many others have used hydraulic cement in many applications for ours reefs, and i haven't seen one reported issue.

in fact, i've got gobs of this stuff securing my aquascape as we speak.

Xxero
08/28/2015, 10:47 AM
Wonder if I should try this for my derasa.

I was thinking of that earlier, but I didn't want you to think that I was selling something! LOL

Honestly, I think your Derasa is going to be just fine. It's a sand dweller, so if you have it comfy and leave it alone for a bit, I think it will settle nicely.

laga77
08/28/2015, 01:31 PM
[COLOR="Red"]I agree with all of this, although with this project, the cement didn't expand.[/QUOTE]

Yes it did. The amount it expands is not that great and cannot be seen by the eye. Glad it is not toxic.

KafudaFish
08/28/2015, 01:43 PM
If you wanted to make the stand more natural looking after you removed it, pour the dry powder on it and gently spray it to saturate.

You could use your fingers to fix it and use some rubble for a stamp or directly place it on.

Pond foam and salt would do the same.

Cool project.

Jonmf
08/30/2015, 05:08 PM
Nice work! Love the idea.

Irishman360
11/28/2015, 08:35 AM
How long did you let it soak in RO/DI water for? It looks like a shot glass I have in my cupboard lol. Did you round the top your self?

Xxero
11/28/2015, 09:28 AM
How long did you let it soak in RO/DI water for? It looks like a shot glass I have in my cupboard lol. Did you round the top your self?

If I remember right, I let it soak overnight in the RO/DI water. And 'yes' I smoothed the curve at the top of the concrete as it was starting to set up.

I have since removed the pedestal from my tank though. Not because I noticed any ill effects, but just for a change. The Clam seemed to love it up there...it was close to the lights; it avoided sandstorms; and the flow access was perfect. :bigeyes: