PDA

View Full Version : Control multiple PC fans with Apex

creep
08/28/2015, 01:48 PM
I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. I tried googling the answer but didn't find what I was looking for. My tank temps are too high right now and I want to hook up mulitple PC fans to help cool down my tank. Ideally I would like to have two PC fans blowing over the top of the display tank (48"l X 24"w) and then two more fans blowing over the sump. I would like to connect all 4 fans to one power source and then connect this to my Apex to be able to tell them to turn on when the tank temp reaches a certain temperature. What I'm not sure how to do is to connect the fans to a single power supply, or which type of power supply I should use.

Breadman03
08/28/2015, 02:11 PM
Just get a DC power supply of the appropriate voltage that can supply more mA than your fans will draw. Plug that into an EB8 outlet and program the outlet as if it was a chiller.

NewEgg will be a great resource.

creep
08/28/2015, 02:31 PM
What's the best way to connect the fans to the power supply. That's really where I am stuck. They aren't close enough together to just connect all 4 wires to the one power supply and I don't really want to have 4 power supplies.

slief
08/28/2015, 05:18 PM
What's the best way to connect the fans to the power supply. That's really where I am stuck. They aren't close enough together to just connect all 4 wires to the one power supply and I don't really want to have 4 power supplies.

I'd solder them. Positive to postive and negative to negative. If you get 12v PC fans, obviously get a 12v AC Adapter. You might consider going to walmart and getting some 8"m clip on fans. They work great and two of them can drop my 480g display and 650g overall volute a degree or more in a couple hours. Also, if you go the PC fan route, be sure to use outlets 4 or 8 on your EB8. Those fans are low current draw and the other outlets won't function properly as Triacs need at least 5 watts where as the relay outlets don't care what the current draw is.

creep
08/28/2015, 06:30 PM
Awesome, thanks for the help!