PDA

View Full Version : Bulkhead on old aquarium

rillaboratories
08/29/2015, 06:40 PM
I purchased a 90 gallon predrillled aquarium. The tank is aged and has two slipxslip bulkhead. The bulkhead are glued to sawed off pvc. Is there any way to salvage the bulkhead for reuse. On one of the bulkhead there enough pvc where I can connect another fitting, however on the other one it is sawed almost directly to the bulkhead.

The bulkhead looks ancient so I guess I can try to remove it but might take a lot of effort or worst case cause the glass to crack.

Any advice?

MondoBongo
08/29/2015, 07:44 PM
you're best bet is to remove and replace the old bulk heads.

reusing them can be a roll of the dice. over time the rubber washers tend to lose their ability to easily seal.

to remove them you should just have to unscrew the nut, it shouldn't involve any risk of the glass cracking.

thegrun
08/29/2015, 07:57 PM
+1, way too much risk when you can replace them for a few dollars.

ericarenee
08/29/2015, 08:25 PM
+2 ..

Think about if something fails.. Its not worth draining a tank for 12.00 worth of parts saved.

kmbyrnes
08/30/2015, 06:28 AM
+3. Started plumbing my next tank yesterday. I am not risking 350 gallons of water on the floor over $30 worth of new bulk heads. I have only purchased used tank setups and I replace all the the plumbing every time. Then if something fails I have only myself to blame