PDA

View Full Version : When To Start Carbon Dosing?

blcktitanium
08/29/2015, 11:50 PM
Hello all,

I have been reading a lot about carbon dosing on this forum and I have decided that I rather go that route instead of buying another piece of equipment.

My question is when should I start carbon dosing, after I add all my fish and figure out my feeding routine or could I start it right after the tank cycles knowing that I'm more than likely going to have moderate to high PO4 for sometime to come since I started my tank with 125 pounds of fiji dry rock?

I know that I will have a pretty heavy feeding schedule once I get all my fish in place I will have a pretty big bioload I believe. I plan on stocking the tank with anywhere from 18 to 20 fish and the tank is 125 gallons.

I'm really wanting to do this right this time around so that I have a better chance of a successful tank and not leave the hobby again. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

bertoni
08/31/2015, 06:05 PM
I don't see any reason to start until there's food going into the tank. That should be early enough.

AdamNC
08/31/2015, 06:23 PM
Only carbon dose if you feed heavy or have nitrate issues. I didn't start until my nitrates jacked up to 40ppm after a reaquascape.