PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on Chevron Tang diet

bbowler1
09/01/2015, 12:00 PM
I just got a chevron tang a few days ago. He is enjoying the 250 gal tank and seems to be picking off the rocks and back wall a lot and seems comfortable. I have not seen him eat the nori sheets I put in (fox face loves it) and although he sniffs the Mysis he wont eat it, maybe too big not sure.

Should I try brine shrimp, pellets, algae flakes? He seems in good shape but wanna make sure.

o2manyfish
09/01/2015, 12:59 PM
Chevron tang is an algae eater. It's a Bristletooth tang, which means his mouth and teeth are designed for pulling algae off of rocks.

If your tank is well established with algae growing on the rock, the Chevron should be able to feed himself off the rock work.

I think every reef tank should include a Chevron, they are a great 'worker' fish in maintaining a healthy reef.

Good luck with him.

Dave B

alton
09/01/2015, 01:33 PM
Don't clean your glass until he starts eating frozen food. Although poor glass cleaners he will keep himself busy

ca1ore
09/01/2015, 02:05 PM
I own 10 tangs across three tanks and my Chevron is the only one that will not eat nori off the clip. It does spend most of its day, however, picking at the rocks eating (presumably) various algae and detritus. Mine does eat planktonic foods though.

bbowler1
09/01/2015, 03:01 PM
so what can I put in to help him supplement the rocks? Anyone do the Grazing ring that new era makes?

nuxx
09/01/2015, 04:20 PM
Our Chevron ignores nori compared to the other tangs.

Loves Mysis and Rod's meatier foods.

Picks at the rocks all day as well.

brett559
09/02/2015, 11:03 AM
I own 10 tangs across three tanks

Just curious, which kinds?

Shaummy
09/02/2015, 11:49 AM
When you put nori in...is it on a clip? I've had bristletooth tangs (in my case a Kole) not eat it off the clip, but when I banded some to a rock and put it in the tank..he grazed off it.

My current Chevron has no problems munching on it from the clip... so it's hit or miss with each specimen.

ca1ore
09/02/2015, 02:23 PM
Just curious, which kinds?

Achilles, Yellow, Purple, Hippo and Desjardini in my 265
Naso, Chevron and Convict in my 90 (before anyone yells at me, the naso is a refugee from the 265 and will go back once it gains some size)
Scopas in my frag tank.
PowderBlue in QT

o2manyfish
09/02/2015, 04:45 PM
10 Across 4 tanks....I think I got you beat :)

Display Tank - 8 yellows, 1 purple, 2 hippo, chevron and Achilles.

Frag tank 5 Yellows, Atlantic blue (tiny juvie), Flame tang

Rock Sump - 2 yellows

marty9876
09/02/2015, 06:39 PM
i tied you, 10 in one tank

Chevron, Achilles, powder blue, shoal, blonde naso, purple, mimic lemon, desjardini, white tale bristle tooth, yellow belly blue

I've had my chevron since a tiny Juvi, wide variety of frozen/pellets/nori

ca1ore
09/02/2015, 10:32 PM
Was it a contest?

Point was not that I have 10, but that out of that many, my Chevie is the only one that doesn't go for the nori clip.

ginpang
09/03/2015, 01:49 PM
When you put nori in...is it on a clip? I've had bristletooth tangs (in my case a Kole) not eat it off the clip, but when I banded some to a rock and put it in the tank..he grazed off it.

My current Chevron has no problems munching on it from the clip... so it's hit or miss with each specimen.

Elastic band usually works but if he or she is real fancy pants ... You can soak your nori until its moosh then you spackle it on base rock or live rock and let it dry in the sun... Usually 3-4 layers with interstitial drying is good enough. Also you can vary your dried algae from light green to dark green , to red...
If that does not work then you may have a problem....

o2manyfish
09/03/2015, 03:04 PM
Simon,

No contest, I like there are people out there with multiple tangs that are healthy and happy in captivity. So often people get 2 tangs that just battle it out till there is a loser. And then tangs get stereo typed.

Dave B