PDA

View Full Version : Lyretail Anthias Question

ksicard
09/01/2015, 04:01 PM
I have a trio of Lyretail Anthias (Squampinnias) and I bought them all as females. A couple months back the more dominant anthias started changing from female to male. Now for the last 2 days the male is rapidly changing in coloration to the male colors, but for whatever reason he has been swimming and acting like a sickly fish thats about to die. Is this part of the process of changing into a male? Nothing in my tank has changed, 3x feedings a day. Usually when fish are going to die it happens very rapidly, but in this instance its been dragging out over 2-3 days now and with the rapid progression of his developing colors it almost seems like its part of the female to male transition. Can anyone shed some light on this on whether the fish acting weakly is part of the process or is it not normal? I haven't seen any aggression from the two much smaller anthias and until 3 days ago the male has been very dominant with keeping the 2 other females in check.

nuxx
09/01/2015, 04:19 PM
Sadly our missed our turning while on vacation.

He is weird, hangs out with the 3 male Huchtii Anthias and leaves the female Lyretails alone.

Acts normal though...