PDA

View Full Version : Whole House Reverse Osmosis

tjolle92
09/02/2015, 07:51 AM
First post here and just toying around with the Idea of a tank considering I just dumped a lot of money into a whole house RO and might as well take full advantage of it. However I am running into issues with the RO and cant find a lot of information on it other then the saltwater forums so thought maybe you guys could offer some insight and maybe confirm im not being unreasonable with my expectation of the RO.

I bought a house along a highway (83 north) the road salts run off and contaminate my well giving me a TDS of 2100+ (multiple tests confirm that number) along with chlorides and other contaminants. So I ended up purchasing a whole house RO through a well know company (not a small local business)

The system consists of a water softener, 1,700GPD RO unit, 400 gallon storage tank, soda ash to bring PH back up, and a UV light.

The system is putting out water at 190TDS (before it even touches the soda ash) while this is way down from what I started with its still not acceptable RO quality correct?

Could they have given me a RO that cant compete with my extremely high TDS?

I haven't written them a check yet and am just hoping to get more opinions. I am expecting a TDS of 25 or so, preferably less. Are my expectations too high or should I have the company make it right?

shifty51008
09/02/2015, 09:13 AM
Actually that is around 93% rate which isnt really that bad going from 2100 ppm.

The things i would wonder about is why a uv light?

But if i were you i would give russ at buckeye hydro a call for a 2nd opinion he knows water and deals with whole house water filters all the time.

My rodi filter brings my water down to 4ppm with ro and 0 after the di but thats comming from tap water of 534ppm far from your 2100ppm

Mike Ordner
09/02/2015, 09:16 AM
I looks like you are at 90% reduction of tds with your RO system. Not great but still a good reduction. Some filters claim higher rates (95 to 98%).If you want to get it down more, then you need use the higher rated RO filter or add a DI filter inline just before you use the water.

tjolle92
09/02/2015, 09:54 AM
Gotcha both are worth trying at this point with the amount of money spent. I get the 90% rejection rate being acceptable but all the TDS grading charts contradict the rejection rate approval.

He threw in the U.V. light to catch any bacteria left in the water maybe just a worthless piece of equipment but with how much I was spending I told him give me everything. Basically said at all cost I want the best water available and this is what im left with. The state took responsibility and wrote me a check which is why cost wasn't the biggest issue

0-50TDS is RO water 51-199 being mountain springs/carbon filters and 200-300 marginally acceptable tap water

I guess the other thing is he guaranteed me water better then bottle water. in a written email which is my defense. other wise this may not be such a issue but I feel he over promised and under delivered.

Sk8r
09/02/2015, 10:59 AM
I didn't go that, and probably wouldn't, because we get beneficial minerals from our drinking water---and ours is good; but I did put the whole house on a massive carbon filter, back in the day: stood as tall as me, and had to be recharged once a year. Didn't cost too much to recharge, about 80.00 back in the 1990's. It sure made the shower water nice.

Toddrtrex
09/02/2015, 11:13 AM
You mentioned a water softener --- are you measuring your TDS right after the RO, or after the water softener? If after, that would be part of the reason you are seeing a high TDS.

sde1500
09/02/2015, 11:56 AM
I looks like you are at 90% reduction of tds with your RO system. Not great but still a good reduction. Some filters claim higher rates (95 to 98%).If you want to get it down more, then you need use the higher rated RO filter or add a DI filter inline just before you use the water.

I believe the jury is still out, but there is the belief that drinking deionized water can be unsafe.

tjolle92
09/02/2015, 12:26 PM
I had a similar concern about DI water as well. I am testing it directly after the RO to have a accurate reading. I spoke with Buckeye Hydro and they were VERY helpful. He believes it is just a matter of finding a kink in the system and that the system provided shouldn't be the issue. Just need to maybe boost the operating pressure, adjust the waste to product ratio, or put better filters in. I will see what they have to say when they come back out