PDA

View Full Version : Aquamaxx HOB Skimmer question & Biocube Chambers after water change??

Nano_Marek
09/02/2015, 10:48 AM
Just did another water change and increased the salinity from 1.021 to 1.024

Is that enough to get the aquamaxx hob skimmer get crazy with microbubbles?

Having a difficult time adjusting the water parameters and this skimmer is going nuts with microbubbles.

Also having an issue with the chambers...when doing water changes I empty out chamber 2 and 3, thats usually about 3-4 gallons, then I pull another gallon or 2 from the main display. When filling the tank back up, I put all 5-6 gallons into the display and turn on the pump. The chambers in the back get high, and the level in the display never stays where I want it to be. I am afraid to get an auto top off because I can't seem to get this water thing right. I had the tank for 6 months and as of recently, this thing is driving me crazy. No clogs or stops anywhere...its a free flowing system at this point.

I love and am starting to hate my tank at the same time now.

Any help would be appreciated. Any advice on how you guys do your water changes would help too. Thanks

homer1475
09/02/2015, 11:17 AM
In my biocube the water sits just below the rim in the display section. In the back chambers I keep mine so it's just below the overflow hole between the second and third chambers. First chamber will fill along with the display section at the same level(that's why fitting a skimmer in there works so well), second and third chambers stay at the same level, this is where you set your water level to be with an ATO. The way the system is designed, the pump will pump the chambers dry trying to keep the display section at a constant level.

When I do a WC, I do the same as you. Suck out the second chamber, detritus from first which then draws another 2 or so gallons from the display. Only thing I do different is fill the second and third chambers up, start the return pump, and let it suck it down to fill the display, then gradually add more until its at the level I want(just below the overflow hole).

Cant help you with the HOB skimmer unfortunately, sorry.

ReefWreak
09/02/2015, 11:36 AM
My back chambers and siphoning/water changes work almost the same as Homer described above.

With the skimmer you'll still disrupt surface tension with any additions (or hands in the tank) that you make, so that could cause it to skim really wet or really dry for 6+ hours, but after 6-12 hours, you should be back with no microbubbles again. If you are still getting microbubbles and you weren't before, maybe try running some carbon to absorb anything else that might have been added to the tank.

Usually after doing water changes I would expect some fluctuation in the skimmer, from binders or other incidentals in the newly added mixture. I would more likely expect the skimmer's foam head to go flat (not be able to create large bubbles) after a water change, usually you don't see more microbubbles.

Are you running your cube open top with a HOB skimmer and not using an ATO? If that is the case, I would expect your skimmer to not work very consistently at all unless the feed pump is in the first chamber.

soulpatch
09/02/2015, 12:37 PM
he has the aquamaxx hob which houses the pump externally and there is an intake. I have same setup.

Couple of questions:

Where is your intake for the skimmer
How are you routing the return from skimmer
When you drain water do you break the siphon on the skimmer
How long until micro bubbles stop
When is last time you cleaned skimmer and especially the intake tube
Do you have a media rack or such in the rear chambers

Nano_Marek
09/02/2015, 02:00 PM
Are you running your cube open top with a HOB skimmer and not using an ATO? If that is the case, I would expect your skimmer to not work very consistently at all unless the feed pump is in the first chamber.

Biocube is open top with HOB skimmer off to the left by chamber 3. I am not using an ATO yet...I would like to but I have no idea where to put it. Back chambers fluctuate but the display doesn't even when I top it off it drops to the same spot.

After reading what Homer wrote...I am starting to understand the flow better. I can set an ATO in chamber 2...not sure which ones I would get because most clip on. I can get the AquaAuto Smart ATO maybe and use the magnet in the back of chamber 2.

soulpatch
09/02/2015, 02:10 PM
the tunze nano ato works just fine with its magnet.

I have the intake for my hob1 in chamber 1 since the water level never fluctuates.

I have mine to the right over chamber 1/2. It drains into my intank media basket in chamber 2 taking care of any potential nano bubbles...

Nano_Marek
09/02/2015, 02:10 PM
he has the aquamaxx hob which houses the pump externally and there is an intake. I have same setup.

Couple of questions:

Where is your intake for the skimmer
How are you routing the return from skimmer
When you drain water do you break the siphon on the skimmer
How long until micro bubbles stop
When is last time you cleaned skimmer and especially the intake tube
Do you have a media rack or such in the rear chambers

Hey Soulpatch....we have went back and forth before and I thought I was all set but still having some issues.

1) Intake for skimmer is below the output for the pump in chamber 3. It hangs left of my biocube towards the back by chamber 3.

2) not sure i understand that question...the return is the normal set up with the aquamaxx and i bought the microbubble stopper attachment

3) turn off the skimmer when i do water changes

4) 3-4 hrs to see a decrease in microbubbles

5) i just did a RO vinegar bath.

6) In chamber 2, I had macro algae floating around and it seemed to have went into chamber 3, getting caught up on the pump. I just cleared all the macro algae because it was all over the place (little pieces all over). I just purchased a media basket, I want to do the macro algae setup again but I don't want the algae all over the place. Not sure if the macro algae is messing with my skimmer...little broken pieces of macro algae were floating around the whole tank and i saw a few particles in the skimmer.

Could it be the macro algae that is an issue?

My whole idea was to setup a refugium type of deal in chamber 2...I have the magnetic light and had macro algae floating around with a few pieces of live rock and chemipure at that bottom.

soulpatch
09/02/2015, 02:14 PM
with the intake directly next to the output you will get some additional air causing micro bubbles till the tank water raises and the skimmer processes through the extra air.

If you are open top I would recommend moving it to the right if possible so the intake pulls from constant levels and the output would drain into the second chamber. That way you can have macro algae in the second chamber without any concern of it getting into the skimmer.

Nano_Marek
09/02/2015, 02:25 PM
just about every setup i have seen has the aquamaxx on the left side. idk...i will give 2 weeks...if it keeps acting up...i am done with the skimmer. just gonna rely on water changes weekly...i am good about that at least

Nano_Marek
09/02/2015, 02:26 PM
thanks for your input everyone...so frustrating. not sure if i am big fan of the biocube tank

soulpatch
09/02/2015, 02:33 PM
I guess you can go by some random pics online over listening to someone who has a very successful setup without any microbubble problems that you are complaining about. Choice is yours.

Not sure why you would hate on the biocube though. Too many of us have been highly successful with various levels of equipment and maintenance levels. Just sounds to me like you are going through the initial noob issues that we all encountered which can be a pain to get through. good luck

Nano_Marek
09/02/2015, 02:39 PM
I guess you can go by some random pics online over listening to someone who has a very successful setup without any microbubble problems that you are complaining about. Choice is yours.

Not sure why you would hate on the biocube though. Too many of us have been highly successful with various levels of equipment and maintenance levels. Just sounds to me like you are going through the initial noob issues that we all encountered which can be a pain to get through. good luck

didn't mean to come off like I was quitting on the thing...I will try moving it to the right side but i have no idea what you mean by:

"If you are open top I would recommend moving it to the right if possible so the intake pulls from constant levels and the output would drain into the second chamber."

how can the output drain into the 2nd chamber?

i think its really hard to explain things in these forums...

soulpatch
09/02/2015, 02:45 PM
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y115/soulpatch/20150814_201119_zps79dd5hqh.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/soulpatch/media/20150814_201119_zps79dd5hqh.jpg.html)

Mine drains into second chamber but it pulls from the first chamber. I typically have it more right then in this pic but you get the idea.

Nano_Marek
09/02/2015, 03:08 PM
ok i am following now. you are doing everything from the back

i will set it up that way when i get home. thanks so much.

what is hanging out in chamber 3 btw?

soulpatch
09/02/2015, 05:47 PM
my reactor is on the wall behind chamber 3.

Nano_Marek
09/03/2015, 09:15 AM
Hey Soulpatch...I moved the aquamaxx to the back like you recommended

Chamber 2 and 3 is filled up just about all the way....2-3 inches of spacing from the top. Is that how you have yours running?

I think I might do the phosban reactor in chamber 3 like you have.

The display water is down now, a little below the black trim of the tank. That is normal right?

Also...skimmer is making a "putt putt" noise. Its running but kinda sounds funny. Like when you are turning over a car sound kinda. Have you experienced that noise...when I squeeze the yellow hose the noise goes away, but when I release it comes back. I have tried turning it off but can't seem to get that noise to go away.

Thanks for all your input up to this point....tank looks much better with your set up. Appreciate it.

ReefWreak
09/03/2015, 09:22 AM
Sounds like there's water in the air line. It definitely makes that sound you're describing. You can just blow on the yellow line to try to blow the water out and it should go away.

The airline probably got submerged at some point while you were moving the skimmer or fell and sucked in water at some point. That's totally fine, and you should wash it out every now and then anyway to prevent salt buildup and make sure it's clean and getting good airflow.

soulpatch
09/03/2015, 09:36 AM
What it sounds like is that the air silencer is open at the bottom causing a gurgle. If you pull the yellow airline off of the silencer do you still get the gurgle sound?

Every time I do a water change I make sure I also run a cup of RODI though my airline to flush it in a way. I still might mod it to be like the lifereef I have where the airline would be hooked to the overflow on the collection cup. That would negate chance of overflow as well as always have moist air in the air line.

The only other thing I can think of that has happened to me is that the bubble plate got loose after a while from the vibration of the motor loosening the screw. This rattled slightly but not a gurgle like you describe. Though cutting off the air flow would reduce the turbulance the bubble plate handles which would kill the sound from it. If it is truely a thumping I would give that a look.

Nano_Marek
09/03/2015, 09:45 AM
Yeah when I pull the yellow hose off the silencer then the gurgle sound is louder. I tried turning it off and blowing thru the hose but still getting the same sound.

I just did a vinegar bath 2 weeks ago also.

soulpatch
09/03/2015, 09:47 AM
While bathing it did you take it apart to check that the plate was still tight?

Hard to tell what the sound might be without hearing it but I would check the bubble plate first then make sure none of the intake pipes got knocked loose on the move, and finally after ensureing all connections are good flush the system with some RODI/vinegar again and see where what happens.

I would be willing to wager it is your bubble plate though.

Nano_Marek
09/03/2015, 10:09 AM
I will have to look into the bubble plate also.

I was thinking that maybe I am priming the skimmer wrong.
The way I prime is: open the top and pour saltwater in until it reaches the exit tube. Then I turn the skimmer on, and take the hose and put it in a glass of my saltwater, it sucks it all up until I see bubbles being formed. Then I put the hose back on the silencer.

That is what I believed the directions called for.

BTW: what kind of reactor do you have?

I am gonna get the top off from Tunze. is your 2nd and 3rd chamber about 2-3 inches filled from the top? I was gonna have my RO top off water dump into chamber 2.

soulpatch
09/03/2015, 10:16 AM
I recommend RODI through the air tube so you dont get salt creep in there.

I use the BRS deluxe reactor and I keep chambers 2 and 3 down a bit more then that. I have my water just over the side view window. So it is a couple inches from the top. I should bring it up more as I had it that height to force flow through my media rack but now using the reactor that is less of a concern.

Nano_Marek
09/03/2015, 10:51 AM
Nice...what kind of pump would you say is sufficient for your reactor?

The pump sits in your tank or one of the chambers? Is the reactor above or below the water line?

I will probably get the same one, I like that is does carbon and GFO, i wouldn't need to put the chemipure in chamber 2 anymore.

soulpatch
09/03/2015, 11:07 AM
I have the mj1200 pump bottom of chamber 2 for it. Really doesnt matter if it is above or below though if you put below make sure you get a second on/off connector for the return so you dont get a back siphon. I have the return line nder water to not create bubbles and if my reactor was below I would need that valve to not get flooded on changes.

Nano_Marek
09/03/2015, 01:14 PM
return line going back into the display or into chamber 2?

any brand for carbon/GFO you like more than others? 50/50 ratio is recommended right? not too loose because the GFO can mess with the carbon particles?

soulpatch
09/03/2015, 01:35 PM
return from skimmer goes in chamber 3

I use BRS rox carbon and gfo. I do a 50/50 mix or a bit heavy on carbon and change out weekly or every other week though I have been bad the past month with vacation and going to the beach house every weekend...