PDA

View Full Version : Formalin ms help

Polkman
09/02/2015, 08:52 PM
Was wondering if anyone has experience with this product. I just qt 8 fish which was exposed to brook. My bottle of formalin ms by fishvet should be here tomorrow. Would you say to do 30-50 min formalin baths to each fish at a time or all at once? I have an air pump and a small power head for the bath.

Also would you recommend putting formalin in the qt?

Newsmyrna80
09/03/2015, 06:37 AM
Do individual 30 minute dips. Be sure to fully aerate the water before dipping each fish as formalin depletes the oxygen. Obviously leave the air stone in the water during the dip and do not leave the fish alone. If possible move them into a clean QT after the dip, almost like TT. 3-5 dips done every other day is recommended. I have read daily dips are recommended but IME it was too stressful on the fish.

Polkman
09/03/2015, 07:47 AM
Thanks for he reply. I recently moved all 8 fish into a qt last night. Before putting them in I fresh water dipped them for 3-5 mins for each fish. I was wondering if I were to formalin dip each fish, can I put them back into the qt with the other fishes that are waiting their turn at the dip? Or would that just reinfest them? I was planning on dosing the qt with formalin as well right after the baths.

Polkman
09/03/2015, 12:15 PM
Anyone? One clown passed just now. Would like to know if I can dose the quarantine tank first with formalin and then do a formalin dip. That way I can release the treated fish back into medicated water instead of the qt water that might be infected. I have 7 fish in there now. If anyone has a good step by step opinion, please share.

tylersarah
09/03/2015, 07:41 PM
Yes, you can treat the qt, follow directions on the bottle. No real point in dips then. Make sure you wear gloves and don't get any of the medicated water on yourself.

Polkman
09/03/2015, 07:56 PM
My wife dosed the tank earlier today with formalin ms. After reading more into it, and given the advice from others, I decided to pick up another qt. Going to formalin dip all of them tomorrow and drop them into the clean QT, and will wash and dry for 24-48 hours the other QT. Basically I'm going to do formalin baths and TTM to hopefully rid both brook and ich as the same time. Hopefully I won't stress the fishes out too much with all the movement from tank to tank and the formalin baths.

Newsmyrna80
09/04/2015, 06:19 PM
That is the protocol I used to treat a flame angel that had Brook...dip and move into a fresh tank.

Polkman
09/04/2015, 07:58 PM
That is the protocol I used to treat a flame angel that had Brook...dip and move into a fresh tank.

Yeah, this site has so much information, and so many people with great advice. Just finished my first round of dips and into a 2nd clean tank. Going to probably give them a rest tomorrow then continue the formalin dips the following day then to the 3rd clean tank.

While the clown was in the formalin dip, I saw so much of the mucus come right off of him. Left her in there for 50 mins and she took it like a champ, no signs of stress at all. There is a very little bit of white mucus on her but she's eating and swimming fine so far. Hopefully the next dip will take the rest off her.

By the way should I be dosing the tank with formalin as well during the TTM and dips?

Oh and the yellow tang looks way better, I don't even see any white spots on him anymore.

The diamond goby and 3 of the 4 green chromis seem to be doing well, eating moments after the dip and transfer. Although there is one chromis that seems to hug the top and not eating, and would also go up towards the surface for air. I do have 2 air bubblers running in the tank and the other fishes seem fine. Hope he pulls through.