PDA

View Full Version : Very slow production suddenly.

Breadman03
09/02/2015, 11:08 PM
I have a BRS 5 stage plus drinking water kit, running all Spectrapure internals. My unit suddenly started producing very little water. Or at least I just noticed a supply issue. I do think it is a recent development as my 32 gallon topoff container filled overnight earlier this week, but has taken over a day and is about 80% filled at this point. I'm inly making about 20gpd based on a 5 minute measurement of 9 ounces in a Pyrex kitchen measuring cup. I know it's not lab grade, but it's surely enough for my needs. :)

I typically make about 30 gallons per week for water changes, 50 or so for topoff, and who knows how much for drinking water for 6 people and 4 furry pets.

My pressure is about 75 psi. I removed my last prefilter housing, turned the supply on, and got plenty of water flow. Water flow into the DI housing was very slow, making me believe that the issue is between the last prefilter and the DI, which would be a few inches of tubing and the RO membrane.

I had a 4:1 rejection ratio when I set the unit up, but it is now about 9:1. I don't flush my membrane. Ever. I know it's a bad habit, but I'm just being honest.

I assume it's time to get a new membrane, but have a question about flow restrictors. Are the ones adjustable with valves worth it, or are they junk? I currently have one of your capillary restrictors. There's nothing wrong with them, I'm just considering alternatives.

Is there something else I might be overlooking?

Since my lazy butt doesn't flush my membrane, I'm going to invest in some solenoids and program my Apex to run it periodically.

SpectraPure
09/03/2015, 12:19 AM
Breadman,

I would look to make sure that the waste-line is shutting off. IF the ASO valve goes out you waste water is running 24/7. This will clog up your pre-filtration and also foul your membrane. Does the pressure gauge go down to 0 when your reservoir is full, and/or have you noticed a pressure drop on the gauge when it is operating?

Also try removing the sediment and 2 carbons one by one to see if your pressure and production increases. What is the tap, ro, and DI tds reading? The flush is only really worth while before and after you make water. Considering this has a bladder thank you cannot do that each time. Flushing with a dwk is kind of pointless. The reason to flush is to get out the stagnate water before, and the unprocessed water after. This helps your membrane from scaling.

Please let me know what you come up with.

Jeremy

Breadman03
09/03/2015, 08:31 AM
It appears that the shutoff failed. Removing my sediment filters brought production up to a steady stream of DI water, though I didn't measure it to get a rate of production. I closed the valve to the bladder and my DI lines, but the waste water continued to flow heavily.

My pressure stays at a steady 75 whether the unit is on or off, and always has. It goes to zero if I shut off the supply. Other than that, the needle just bounces when the unit, my washer, or my dishwasher starts or stops as those devices flow a lot of water.

I haven't measured tap TDS in two years, but it was near 400. RO is currently 3-4 and DI is zero.

Oh, and my online statement for my water bill is up from around $80 to $170 this month. I'm thinking I need a shutoff.

SpectraPure
09/03/2015, 11:00 AM
http://spectrapure.com/PARTS-SUPPLIES/VALVES/Automatic-Shut-Off-Valve-1-4in-Quick-Connect-fittings

http://spectrapure.com/PARTS-SUPPLIES/VALVES/Inline-Check-Valve-w-1-4in-quick-connect-fittings

I would also recommend new pre-filtration. The carbon is likely on its way out, and chlorine will soon be likely damaging your ro membrane, which will destroy your di life.

http://spectrapure.com/FILTERS-MEMBRANES-RESIN/FILTER-REPLACEMENT-KITS/CSPDI-System-Cartridge-Replacement-Kit-SuperDI-High-Capacity

http://spectrapure.com/FILTERS-MEMBRANES-RESIN/CARBON-FILTER-CARTRIDGES/1-Micron-ChlorPlus-Chloramine-Removal-Carbon-Block-Filter-10-inch

http://spectrapure.com/TEST-KITS-METERS/CHEMICAL-TEST-KITS/Total-Chlorine-Test-Kit-w-10-tablets

the above link is a chlorine test kit to measure if the carbon blocks are exhausted. This is how I tell if my carbon needs to be changed.

The above filters is a complete replacement kit for your system. The di isn't necessary yet, but considering we have free shipping on orders 99 and above, you might want to get the kit.

Jeremy

Breadman03
09/03/2015, 04:24 PM
I got an auto shutoff from my LFS, but it still won't turn off the supply. What is the likelihood that 75 psi is overpowering the valve?

The rest will be coming straight from you, though. I just wanted to get this working before MACNA.

SpectraPure
09/03/2015, 05:05 PM
You may need a check valve too. Some aso's do have a pressure cut-off. They are not all of the same quality.

Jeremy

Breadman03
09/03/2015, 06:16 PM
My order has been placed.

Breadman03
09/11/2015, 01:52 AM
Everything has been installed and the new shutoff is working well.

I opted to add a second 99% piggyback membrane to my system, making it a 180 GPD unit. After adjusting my ratios, in getting about 160 GPD from it. TDS into my DI housing is 2, from an unknown but previously high 300's input.

I should have ordered more DI resin as I only had enough left for this refill. I suppose you'll be getting another order from me soon. :)

SpectraPure
09/14/2015, 05:14 PM
Glad everything is working well! Let me know if you ever need help.

Jeremy