PDA

View Full Version : sun coral

keefesn1
09/03/2015, 12:41 PM
I was just at my LFS and they had a red sun coral that I want desperately. However it's tentacles were not out and the tubes looked like some of the color had been scraped off the outside ends. Do you think that would recover or should I pass it up?

Hope_L
09/03/2015, 02:44 PM
I'm far from an expert, actually new to the hobby but when you say that it looked like its color had been scraped off do you think that could possible be the skeleton showing? Like white pokie things kind of? If you read up on here people have brought back failing Suns with great success but it does take a lot of time and devoted target feeding but there are tons of threads on here that would probably be helpful. Look at Noy's posts he is a genius on sun corals. Also the tentacles are probably yellow not red like the rest of it. We don't see a lot of sun corals in the LFS's in my area so I would definitely give it a shot if it was me. Good luck!

keefesn1
09/05/2015, 11:11 AM
Here is a picture of it. 40 bucks, is it salvageable?

BarryV
09/05/2015, 11:15 AM
Keefesn1 here is a good read on sun corals: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2011/12/corals
Barry

Hope_L
09/05/2015, 12:35 PM
Here is a picture of it. 40 bucks, is it salvageable?

Ouch! I don't know honestly, I would try to ask one of the pros. Maybe message Noy. How much do they want for it? If it was me, if it was the right price I might try but honestly I don't know if that is skeleton or bleaching or what, it doesn't look well though. Poor thing.

Edit:
Sorry just saw where you said $40... I would probably try to talk him down, if it just sits there it is going to probably die anyway and then he won't get anything for it. Again I'm no expert but I have done a lot of reading on sun corals.

Sapelo
09/05/2015, 12:36 PM
Wow. To be honest, it looks pretty far gone.
I've had one for almost a year now. I feed it 4 times a week. It does come out during the day and can be trained to come out any time for food.
The Tank of the Month from August has a number of beautiful specimens.
I personally think they are absolutely worth the "trouble" but you might be best starting off with a healthy specimen rather than one that has been shipped too much and missed too many meals.

Newstead
09/05/2015, 09:14 PM
Poor thing - all that tissue regression is sad. I "rescued" a starving sun coral but it wasn't that far gone and the price was much better. With daily feedings (mysis, each head yarget fed, Selcon added 2x week) it has really come around and even has 3 new heads forming, but one side does have 5 skeletonized heads. Before and after pictures :