PDA

View Full Version : trimming out stand in glass? whata think?

Devaji108
09/03/2015, 03:39 PM
so I have this metal stand for my 40/40 that needs to be trimmed out.
one such idea is 1/4 plate glass then painting the back black then getting one of those color changeable led bulbs so the light would leak around the edges of the glass.

of course its non structural. good idea or am I asking for trouble?

billdogg
09/03/2015, 04:59 PM
I would use acrylic instead - it will be lighter and not quite so prone to breakage.

salty joe
09/03/2015, 07:24 PM
+1 acrylic. Sounds like it might be very cool! Along those lines, you could sand the back of acrylic, maybe a light coat of white paint, and have the whole panel lit. If you do it, please post a pic.

Devaji108
09/03/2015, 10:17 PM
^ yeah I will if i do it. I am between that and a metal sheet idea :)

Harse Designs
09/04/2015, 06:16 AM
following

KStatefan
09/04/2015, 06:57 AM
Paint the back of the acrylic black and edge light it.

Bent
09/04/2015, 08:19 AM
It sounds neat and all, but it would depend on what the rest of the furniture in the house was like.

You may end up hating having a disco ball for a stand.

But on the other hand, if the rest of my furniture was industrial/modern, it might work. I would definitely make the lights really really dim. Almost to the point that you couldn't see them in ambient light of the day.

Just my 2 cents, for what that's worth.

davocean
09/05/2015, 10:07 AM
I have the flexible LED tape lights in my sump, a 4' strip.
Mine shine through the amber/root beer stained glass doors just a bit, but not too much, they are not that bright.
I got mine from Lowes, they have a remote, I can change color or put on random mix, it's pretty cool actually, and if I want light to work in sump area I just flick on white light.
I too would choose acrylic over glass for a big panel, glass is fine on door inserts though, that is what I did.