PDA

View Full Version : Photon 48 on a 72" 135g?

Jhuneke
09/03/2015, 07:46 PM
I've unexpectedly had to upgrade from my 90g to a larger 135 ( going from 48" to 72"l)
Can I get away with using the same photon 48 on this setup? I had my tank crack , so getting into the replacement tank has exhausted my budget for now. It has the factory standard optics on it. So if it is high enough will I get enough spread? Obviously I'll keep higher light coral toward the center. But will it look dark on the ends of the tank?
TIA for any input :)
J

Jhuneke
09/04/2015, 08:32 AM
TGIF bump for input :)

rjallen
09/07/2015, 08:37 PM
You will have shadows on the end. Visually, it won't be too bad but don't put SPS or anything except low light corals on the ends. You can also raise your fixture a bit. If you have lens on the LEDs you can get a a little more spread vs depth penetration. Still doin't put sps at each end.

You got more room now so relax and enjoy the upgrade to larger tank. You have time figure what light changes you want.

Good luck
RJ

CHizer
11/10/2015, 12:44 PM
I use 2 24" on a 72" tank. There is a bit of shadow in the middle. I use it for a zoa garden and a few other lower light coral. With 12" on each end you'll have a noticeable shadow. You can make it work though.

Jhuneke
11/10/2015, 01:05 PM
Thanks :) I ended up selling the 48 and picking up 2 photon 32s. There is a slight shadow in center , but I just raised each panel in the center slightly higher to slant panel inwards, and it looks pretty good now :)
Thanks for the input tho!