PDA

View Full Version : What time to feed

aravindk
09/06/2015, 07:22 AM
I am currently feeding by tank around 8 pm everyday. I am thinking of feeding one more time in the morning. One challenge I am facing is that I have my lighting scheduled from 3 pm to 11 pm. In the morning I see most of them hiding behind the rocks and even the ones seen outside they are half asleep.

Is it a good idea to bring the lights on at 6.30 am for an hour or so in order to wake the fish up and then feed? Do they need 8 hr sleep like we humans do, :lol2:

If you are feeding your fish twice a day can you share what is your feeding time?

Thanks.

heathlindner25
09/06/2015, 07:25 AM
I wouldn't turn the lights on just to feed them in the morning.

shifty51008
09/06/2015, 07:26 AM
Why not get a auto fish feeder? I wouldnt turn the lights on just to feed then turn them back off.

I have an eheim auto fish feeder that feeds the tank 4 times a day then when i wake up (i work nights) i will feed frozen

aravindk
09/06/2015, 07:33 AM
I have a fish feeder too and that is posing another challenge. I also have the eheim feeding station to keep the food in one spot. I have a trigger who always hangs around the feeding station and every few minutes he gets into the station looking for food. At feeding time he gobbles almost everything and leaves very little for other fish. That is why I am thinking to feed manually now.

shifty51008
09/06/2015, 07:43 AM
And they say fish arnt smart lol. My fish also swim up to the feeder a few min before it goes off. But i used to use a fish feeding ring to keep it in one spot and had a tang that was like your trigger. I just took tge ring away and let the food go all over the tank now so that everyone gets some. They usually have it all ate before any gets to the rocks this way and if they missed any the cuc takes care of the rest.

kmbyrnes
09/06/2015, 08:56 AM
My lights are on timers. We are early risers so lights come on at 5:00 AM for an hour, I feed at 5:30 and lights out at 6:00 then regular schedule 1 PM to 10 PM.
My fish know that AM lights mean food. A regular frenzy when they come on.

aravindk
09/06/2015, 08:58 AM
My lights are on timers. We are early risers so lights come on at 5:00 AM for an hour, I feed at 5:30 and lights out at 6:00 then regular schedule 1 PM to 10 PM.
My fish know that AM lights mean food. A regular frenzy when they come on.

Cool. that sounds like a plan. i want to try it.