PDA

View Full Version : Oceanic hqi

Daddy4zack
09/07/2015, 12:53 AM
Hi all I'm new here. But I just picked up a brand new 29 gallon Oceanic HQI tank for
300.00. My question is do I return it for the newer coralife biocube version or is this worth the money and keeping?
I plan on running live rock, fish, clowns, anemones and some soft corals. Mushrooms, xenia etc.

Thank You

smtank
09/07/2015, 02:31 PM
http://www.oceanicsystems.com/products/biocube-hqi.php

Same tank, better lighting than the stock Power Compacts.

The biggest draw back to the HQI metal halide is heat, you can add clip on fans or a chiller to keep the temp in check.

It's my opinion that nothing grows corals like metal halide, I would have it in a second if it was not for the heat and energy.

Congratulations on your new tank. :-)

Daddy4zack
09/07/2015, 05:28 PM
Thank You for your reply. I don't want to add a chiller but I guess I will if I have too. Are there sertain corals that like higher temps?
I'll get it going and love it

smtank
09/07/2015, 06:12 PM
I would stick to the soft corals, corallimorphs/mushrooms and zoanthids. Do your best not to run the tank over 82F. The Xenia, and most soft corals will be fine. Once you get into sps you're probably in trouble with that temp long term.
You can probably keep a clam and anemone. Leather/Sarcophyton, Sinularias.

The ambient room temp has a lot to do with it as well. I keep my room temp at 78 year around and that kept my tank under control. I was able to do an sps dominate tank with the HQI.

Removing the lid will increase the chances that fish will jump out and they will. Evaporation will be increased so you need an ATO but the tank will run cooler.

Get one larger power head like a 400-500 gallons/hour rather then two smaller ones.

Get a quality heater and set it at 78 F so the swings in temp are not as severe.

Hope that helps.

Daddy4zack
09/07/2015, 06:16 PM
Thank You. I really appreciate it and excited.

smtank
09/07/2015, 06:24 PM
Thank You. I really appreciate it and excited.

It's a wonderful hobby.

You can have stunning tanks with only a simple AIO tank such as BioCubes and JBJ, Aquapods.....Nuvo. It's does not take a ton of money, just a ton of research.