PDA

View Full Version : lowering salinity in baby/fry tank for clownfish

codyreed29
09/07/2015, 12:44 PM
I just removed a rock with clownfish eggs.

This is there first spawn that I know of. I probably wont be successful my first time around but I figure why not try to raise them it will be a learning experience.

So there little eyes have become silver and they are in a ten gallon about half way full.

Anyhow I am going to lower the salinity down to 1. 20 or so.

Has anyone ever lowered it down to hyposalinity like 1.09 or 1.08 ?

I thought this might help the little fish.

Any ideas? I can't think of any reason why this wouldn't help.

codyreed29
09/07/2015, 03:21 PM
Young fish require a lot of energy for growth. For marine species, the more saline the environment is the more energy is used in osmoregulation. Studies indicate that many species of marine fish exhibit improved growth at salinities that are close to isosmotic (the salinity of the surrounding water is close to the internal salinities of the fish). These studies suggest that raising these species in hyposaline conditions can be advantageous for aquaculture (Lambert, et. al., 1994. Gaumet, et. al., 1995. Deacon, N. &Hecht, T., 1999.) The increase in growth rates are the results of improved food conversion efficiency. All plasma concentrations (except chloride) were unchanged, suggesting that fish were well adapted to their environment. Oxygen consumption was significantly decreased in the 19ppt and 10ppt salinity groups (Gaumet, et. al., 1995.)

Besides improved growth, there is evidence to support the idea that hyposaline conditions may be beneficial to hatcheries. “Like several other marine teleosts, growth and survival of juvenile H. kuda tended to peak in diluted seawater salinities of 15 and 20 ppt” (Hilomen-Garcia, 2003.)

shifty51008
09/07/2015, 03:42 PM
I wouldnt have lowered the sg of the eggs, if you want a lower sg wait till after meta or lower the parent tank water. The lowest i would go is 1.020 though

Do you have air bubbles going over the eggs to keep them moveing?

temper76
10/05/2015, 10:13 PM
I drop mines to 1.17