PDA

View Full Version : Does no skimmate mean no nutrients

Jyetman
09/07/2015, 11:51 AM
I have a bubble magus Nac 3.5 in a 80 gallon system earlier in the week I set it for wet skimming to maximize removal. After a week the skimmate has reduced and disappeared does this mean I have no more nutrients? With 5 large fish fed twice a day think there be some nutrients? I've been battling spotty algae and cyno growing on zoas and other coral bases. I turkey blast them but after a week or so the algae returns. The system has strong flow so not sure why. Also have a weak algae scrubber that is producing green algae. My test readings show zero PO4 and NO3 very confusing. What should I do next?

Jyetman
09/07/2015, 12:09 PM
With zero PO4 and NO3 is it normal to still have some algae growth?

Reef Frog
09/07/2015, 12:13 PM
The skimmer will remove some but not all larger pieces of dissolved organic compounds (DOC). Examples might be bacterial flocs, small food particles, dissolved fish waste,'dead micro-organisms & cellular matter etc.

It will leave behind elemental nutrients that fuel algae growth like PO4 & NO3. There are many methods to export these elements: GFO, vodka dosing, bio pellets, macro algae refugium, ATS, water changes, deep sand beds... These have varying degrees of efficiency. Reducing their input to the tank is another tactic. There's more to it than this but these are the basics.

Jyetman
09/07/2015, 12:30 PM
The skimmer will remove some but not all larger pieces of dissolved organic compounds (DOC). Examples might be bacterial flocs, small food particles, dissolved fish waste,'dead micro-organisms & cellular matter etc.

It will leave behind elemental nutrients that fuel algae growth like PO4 & NO3. There are many methods to export these elements: GFO, vodka dosing, bio pellets, macro algae refugium, ATS, water changes, deep sand beds... These have varying degrees of efficiency. Reducing their input to the tank is another tactic. There's more to it than this but these are the basics.

Thank you for the information. Another question, I noticed my Apex PH has risen since I started the wet skimming. Last week and beyond it maintained 8.20 and this week it has risen to 8.29 within a days time. Is this because of less feedings and less nutrients in the water column or other factors?

Reef Frog
09/07/2015, 12:55 PM
You're welcome. Not entirely sure about the pH rise you observed. pH can change throughout the day and is influenced by photosynthetic activity, alkalinity and the CO2 content in the water.,which is driven by the CO2 content in the air. pH tends to be higher in houses that are not too tightly sealed, with good air exchange to the outside and good water circulation within the tank. Lots of discussion on the chemistry forum on all things pH.

Allentown
09/07/2015, 04:47 PM
1 week is not enough time for it to break in. If its an established tank give it another week. If it is a new tank, don't expect to be able to use the skimmer much for about a month or two.

Jyetman
09/07/2015, 04:54 PM
1 week is not enough time for it to break in. If its an established tank give it another week. If it is a new tank, don't expect to be able to use the skimmer much for about a month or two.

Skimmer is several years old. Has worked fine just pulls very little out when dialed down is why I'm skimming wet.

Jyetman
09/08/2015, 11:32 AM
bump

SuperSaltwater
09/08/2015, 12:27 PM
my aquac remora slowed down a lot too. just test the water, if it tests good your fine.

soeminpaing
09/08/2015, 12:33 PM
You must be using API test kits. You will measure better with test kits like salifert. I also has BM NAC 3.5. Skimmer can only help remove part of the organics. You have to deal the rest with GFO and biopellet.

Allentown
09/08/2015, 02:08 PM
Make sure the skimmer pump is in good working order......been fooled by that a couple times also.

Jyetman
09/08/2015, 02:36 PM
Make sure the skimmer pump is in good working order......been fooled by that a couple times also.

What are the symptoms? Are you referring to Bubble Magus?

Reef Frog
09/08/2015, 03:11 PM
On my skimmer, I can put my thumb over the air line. I can tell if the suction is weak or non existent. This indicates a blockage somewhere. It can be remedied by cleaning or sometime I can blow through it hard to clear it out. Sometimes just turning the pump off for a minute &'back on dies the trick.

Thrings the affect any pump like calcium build up, algae or general crud cut down skimmer performance. Only an inspection will tell younifnthis is a cause. Also some pumps seem to slow down with age and I've never known why.

Buzz1329
09/08/2015, 05:23 PM
If skimmer is not producing any skimmate in an established tank with algae issues, I don't think the cause is zero nutrients, no matter what your test results show. IMO, the cause is the skimmer itself. I would pull it out of service, thoroughly clean skimmer body and especially the pump. I recommend disassembling the pump and soaking parts in vinegar overnight, and then give it another thorough cleaning in am before returning it to service. With my Aquamaxx skimmers, I sometimes find that a piece of bubble algae or other foreign body has gotten wedged in pump impeller and removing it has helped bring skimmer back to normal.

If after a thorough cleaning, the skimmer still does not consistently produce foam, I'd recommend you look for another skimmer.

Good luck,

Mike