PDA

View Full Version : Setting up first tank - lighting & livestock questions!

dragonsong
09/07/2015, 06:18 PM
I joined this forum a zillion years ago but never posted anything till now :wavehand:

Decided over the next couple of weeks that I'm gonna attempt my first official saltwater setup but I still gotta finish purchasing all of the supplies!
I'm getting a 29g tomorrow, and have the metal stand and 20lbs of dry rock coming in the mail along with some oolite sand and reef putty for some nifty aquascaping :cool:. I will add about 10lbs of nice fiji live rock after everything is set up to get some coraline and other stuff in the tank.

My questions are:
1 - Is this light sufficient for keeping at least a couple nice corals alive (NO zoos because they scare me :eek1:) but other relatively undemanding things like star polyps and maybe mushrooms should be ok right?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-165W-LED-Aquarium-Light-Full-Spectrum-Dimmable-For-Fish-Reef-Coral-Marine-/181287175098?hash=item2a358ec3ba

2 - Should I use a Fluval aquaclear 70 or 110 as the main filtration? The 110 is massive and im thinking might be a bit much for a 29?

3 - Is this a good wavemaker and also skimmer? Gonna be getting them both unless someone says its a bad idea!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251956526254?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
&
http://www.ebay.com/itm/262000096106?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

4 - I have a couple fish that I really want to keep, including a flame angel, some firefish, a wrasse and maybe a dottyback or chalk bass? I don't think I can squish all of them in that tank but I just wanted to list a couple species I'm particularly fond of. :cool: If it all goes well I will most likely upgrade to at least a 40g in the near future, the 29 is sort of an experiment to see if I can handle the whole salt thing. Thankssss!!

dragonsong
09/09/2015, 03:12 PM
Bump? Anybody ?
Upon further inspection I think I'll only be getting one of those LED fixtures as I looked up some youtube reviews and they are larger than I thought :x

All I'm waiting on is my box of base rock and then I can start construction :)

joshkirkland83
09/09/2015, 03:39 PM
What you have picked out looks good for a starter tank...good luck.

joshkirkland83
09/09/2015, 03:41 PM
What you have picked out looks good for a starter tank...good luck.
Ps- that light is more than enough. Don't turn it all the way up.

shifty51008
09/09/2015, 03:46 PM
The lights should be fine for most corals if not all on a 29 gal tank.

I would skip on the hob filter unless you need to run carbon or gfo, your lr and sand will do most of the filtering.

The powerheads will work fine but the skimmer i would look at aquamaxx or tunze. The coralife's are junk imo unless heavily modified.

The sand your getting is very fine so it is easy to cause a sand stom. If you can exchange it for special grade reef sand youll be much happier i think.

dragonsong
09/09/2015, 05:12 PM
The lights should be fine for most corals if not all on a 29 gal tank.

I would skip on the hob filter unless you need to run carbon or gfo, your lr and sand will do most of the filtering.

The powerheads will work fine but the skimmer i would look at aquamaxx or tunze. The coralife's are junk imo unless heavily modified.

The sand your getting is very fine so it is easy to cause a sand stom. If you can exchange it for special grade reef sand youll be much happier i think.

Perfect :) I really like birdsnest and acro corals so if it can keep those alive once the tank is established I will be super happy.

Will try to track down some different reef sand locally on my next day off !

platypusklr
09/09/2015, 10:52 PM
+1 on the coralife skimmer. IMO junk.