PDA

View Full Version : Clownfish Problem

davehead86
09/07/2015, 07:05 PM
Tried this over in the clownfish forum and was sent here instead.

My male started acting weird about 12 days ago. He was starting to be lathargic and not interested in eating. My larger female has been fine during all of this.

Tank parameters are normal. I even leveled off my pH at 8.3 for the last week since it was a little low. Temperature is 78.5. Salinity is 1.024.

I changed 20 percent of the water on Wednesday last week and moved a power head to create more arration and oxygen exchange.

Weekend came and went. No change in behavior. Changed 10 percent water today and the male now seems to have red gills that are slightly inflamed. No spots. No torn fins. No skin lesions or discoloration. Here is what he looks like. But can't get the red gills on my phone.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/07/f6b651e034220c3b00832c781e38cc5a.jpg

snorvich
09/07/2015, 07:22 PM
When was the tank cycled? When were the clownfish added?

davehead86
09/07/2015, 07:28 PM
Tank finished cycle in July. Clowns added right after. No signs of problems before this point.

lagatbezan
09/07/2015, 10:34 PM
Did you quarantine them? Any other symptoms? Shaking of head, white stringy poop?

davehead86
09/08/2015, 05:30 AM
No other symptoms. Qt tank started leaking day I got them so they had to go into the dt. But they are the only fish I had and only ones I still have. Poop is yellow. Haven't seen either poop in a while. But I don't stare at the tank all day either.

davehead86
09/08/2015, 08:02 PM
UPDATE!

Upon coming home today and watching the fish the males gills were noticeably worse. He ran them across the sand at some point while i was watching him and then he just kinda floated into a cave type area to rest. Given these things that I have seen I am assuming he has Flukes, or some type of parasite in his gills. I went out tonight and got an API General Cure kit. It has the Praziquantel and Metronidazole both which are aimed at curing a few different types of parasites. I also bought an air-stone and 10 gallon air pump for the tank to help aeration since apparently the Metronidazole can cause a lack of oxygen in the tank (saw that reviewed here). One dose today and then in 48 hours another dose and then in 48 hours a 25% water change and returning the carbon filters. Im thinking that Ill probably do a larger water change at that point since i had to remove the carbon filters that contain most of my beneficial bacteria and my ammonia is probably going to rise in the next few days.

davehead86
09/09/2015, 05:26 AM
8 hours later and the male is swimming much more. His gills are still red and he does have some white poop. But weird poop should be expected after not eating for a week.

I'm optimistic he may eat tonight.

davehead86
09/09/2015, 04:32 PM
Did not eat again. He goes to attack the food and then just turns around. Clearly this gill issue is affecting his mouth severely. He is moving more today. I'm hopeful the second treatment tomorrow shows continued improvement.

davehead86
09/11/2015, 04:41 AM
Second treatment complete. Gills are still red and the male has white stringy poop. If this treatment doesn't work I'll assume it's a bacterial problem and then I'll treat with another product.

Thoughts?

lagatbezan
09/11/2015, 01:17 PM
are you treating in a qt or your main tank?
also what are you feeding?

davehead86
09/11/2015, 04:43 PM
Treating in the main tank. I can move to a qt if necessary but it didn't seem necessary with this particular treatment.

Feeding spectrum pellets freeze dried mysis shrimp and frozen fish food on a rotation and only fed once a day.

davehead86
09/13/2015, 07:34 AM
Male died.
Female is still stressed from removing the male.