PDA

View Full Version : Battery backup / safety connector

figuerres
09/08/2015, 10:19 AM
I found the thread that talks about what parts we need to make it work, ok now what about some way to calculate runtime / amp hours ?

for example if I have 4 power heads of model 6xxxx and a 12 volt battery that is rated for 'N' amp hours then about how long will that run ?
each pump model I know will have a different draw factor
and then add up the pumps to get a number...

I know some electronics but would like to make sure what the correct math is for this.

also I wonder if anyone is making any kind of kits for this to help get the right parts and some of the assembly to make this less of a DIY project ?

rvitko
09/08/2015, 12:07 PM
It is not that straight forward as AH are calculated for a 24 hour period, if it is faster or slower to drain the battery down the math changes a little and I don't understand the specifics, I only know what I have read online. For the 6055 you can factor on about 1.5 hours of run time for every AH, for the 6095, about 1.2 hours, for the 6105 about 1 hour and the 6155 about .75 hours. Each pump needs a safety connector but they could share a battery, I would probably just back up two pumps as we are just trying to sustain things and keep in mind their is a practical limit, even if we have flow for 4 days, animals will die from other issues of non functional equipment, stay to realistic goals of a day or less, much beyond that and the lack of lighting, filtration and temp control is going to take its course and it is not practical unless you back up everything with a generator.

figuerres
09/08/2015, 03:32 PM
It is not that straight forward as AH are calculated for a 24 hour period, if it is faster or slower to drain the battery down the math changes a little and I don't understand the specifics, I only know what I have read online. For the 6055 you can factor on about 1.5 hours of run time for every AH, for the 6095, about 1.2 hours, for the 6105 about 1 hour and the 6155 about .75 hours. Each pump needs a safety connector but they could share a battery, I would probably just back up two pumps as we are just trying to sustain things and keep in mind their is a practical limit, even if we have flow for 4 days, animals will die from other issues of non functional equipment, stay to realistic goals of a day or less, much beyond that and the lack of lighting, filtration and temp control is going to take its course and it is not practical unless you back up everything with a generator.

thanks the numbers help, I get the issues of if power is lost what else is going to be a problem.
with the approximate numbers I can get a better idea of how much good this does Vs. the other options. I am also thinking of the generator but not sure I can set up one in my town house as I do not have a secure area outside of the building and can I modify the garage to house and vent a generator safely.
right now my first line of backup is a 1500 VA UPS for short outages.
I know that will not run for a day but will do for a 1 or 2 hour outage.

a thought for the future might be to have a way form the 7096 to get a signal that main power is out and have it possibly reduce output along with the connector, like how a computer can tell it's on UPS when the UPS loses main power. yeah that would add some parts to the controller so I do not know if that is a better idea or not.... just a thought.

rvitko
09/09/2015, 08:33 AM
In general the pump power is already cut in half as they need 24V for full power (6040 is the exception, it needs 12V) so with a 12V battery we are at a reduced speed/ lower current draw, I quoted based on the amps at 12V. The nice thing about the safety connector is worst case scenario you can use lantern batteries to extend things a little more if your main battery fails and you could use a solar panel to keep the charge, giving a little more life as it would charge on sunny days if that coincided with a power loss.