PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick a second return pump.

Bent
09/08/2015, 11:03 AM
I'm looking for a second return pump to add to my system.

I'm going to use my blue line to feed only the display tank and I need a return pump for everything else (fuge, UV, BRS DR)

I'd prefer a minimum of about 1000gph, submersible or external doesn't matter as long as the sub doesn't put a lot of heat out. Noise isn't much of a factor either.

Go!

slief
09/08/2015, 11:11 AM
I think 1000 GPH will be too little for what you intend on running off it. Fluval SP4 would be a great choice. 1822GPH at 0' head.

Then there is the Vectra M1 which would also be a great choice. RD3 80 watt pump is another great choice but likely out of your price range. Eheim 1262 is a solid option but only 900GPH at 0' head which I think is too low.

I'd ditch that Blueline while you were at it for a more efficient and cooler running pump if it were me and or consolidate to a single pump for everything. You'd save power, reduce noice and decrease heat transfer while also cleaning up your plumbing. I run my return to my display, my display fuge, my GFO and my Carbon reactor from a single pump. My UV is on my closed loop.

R1ant04
09/08/2015, 11:38 AM
Fluval SP4

Bent
09/08/2015, 01:56 PM
I swear the next time I do a build I'm buying this:

Dolphin Super Aqua Sea 12500 Type 3 Marine Abrasive Water Seal External Water Pump https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L3XDOPQ/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_R0Z7vbRX35309

bws
09/08/2015, 04:04 PM
I bought a coralife turbo sea pump about 6 years ago and that thing still works awesome. very quiet and they make them in high head pressure versions in you need to return the water from the basement.. very nice pumps imo

Bent
09/08/2015, 04:10 PM
What about the jebao DC pumps?

Bent
09/08/2015, 04:16 PM
So here's the deal. I finally figured out the return pump model I have and it's the old school blueline velocity t3.

It's only rated at 850gph @ 3ft of head.

So what I really need to do is just buy a new return pump.

gcarroll
09/08/2015, 04:18 PM
Fluval SP4

Bent
09/08/2015, 04:33 PM
I'm tempted to just chuck it all and buy this:
Dolphin Amp Master 3900S Type 3 Marine/Reef/Abrasive Water Seal External Water Pump https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L3XDNES/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_Qi27vbC39BY41
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L3XDNES/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_Qi27vbC39BY41

Bent
09/08/2015, 04:36 PM
So many people are saying the fluval. So I may just get that.

bws
09/08/2015, 04:39 PM
look into those turbo sea pumps man, im telling ya I love mine, no frills and gadgets just a flat out pump. mines an external one with a check valve I put inline but that thing works. it pumps water from my basement and runs through one of those scwd diverters and still is almost too much flow. and I bought the smallest high head pressure one they make they make one that pumps almost 1800 gph at 0 feet and it has almost 40 feet of head pressure. so im sure they will have one you can choose at a decent price that wont break the bank.. I had to point my return lines towards the glass because it was blowing my xenias too hard and the fish were looking like they were in white water rapids when the water hit them

Bent
09/08/2015, 04:40 PM
I'll look it up sir. Thanks!

slief
09/08/2015, 04:40 PM
So many people are saying the fluval. So I may just get that.

That's because they are great pumps based on the Italian made Askoll block. As for Jebao DC pumps. I wouldn't run one on my systems if I was paid. They are hit and miss. Some have had OK luck and others have had bad luck. I also don't consider a year of operation good luck. I only run pumps that have a stellar record because return pump failures are unacceptable for me and I won't risk my tank on a cheap questionable pump.

Bent
09/08/2015, 04:58 PM
So should I get the sp4 and run the accessories and leave the blue line to feed the DT? Or could I get the SP6 and replace the blue line all together and run everything?

theatrus
09/08/2015, 05:00 PM
I've been running PanWorld pumps for years and would still recommend them.

d-man
09/08/2015, 05:28 PM
Eheim or fluval

Roccus
09/09/2015, 06:04 AM
I've been running PanWorld pumps for years and would still recommend them.

second this.... reliable...quiet and depending on the model... capable of overcoming high head pressure...

shifty51008
09/09/2015, 08:30 AM
Ilwalki jap motor pumps, almost unbreakable.

Btw the dolphin pump your looking at, why do you need 12k gph pump?

ericarenee
09/09/2015, 08:35 AM
reeflo pump the super dart would be perfect for your needs.

Bent
09/09/2015, 09:41 AM
Ilwalki jap motor pumps, almost unbreakable.

Btw the dolphin pump your looking at, why do you need 12k gph pump?

Lol who doesn't need 12k/hr?

shifty51008
09/09/2015, 10:22 AM
Lol who doesn't need 12k/hr?

Lol thats true :p

Bent
09/09/2015, 10:28 AM
I couldn't even imagine what 12,500gph looks like in an aquarium.

shifty51008
09/09/2015, 10:52 AM
I couldn't even imagine what 12,500gph looks like in an aquarium.

An empty tank after the water is thrown from it :D

drew2007
09/09/2015, 11:07 AM
Fluval sp4. Great pump. Quiet. Reliable.

slief
09/09/2015, 11:07 AM
So should I get the sp4 and run the accessories and leave the blue line to feed the DT? Or could I get the SP6 and replace the blue line all together and run everything?

I'd get the SP6 and ditch the Blueline. While the Bluelines are great pumps, the SP6 is also a great pump and you will save money on power, simplify your plumbing, decrease noise and decrease heat transfer. No reason to run two pumps in your case if you don't have to.

Bent
09/09/2015, 11:30 AM
I'd get the SP6 and ditch the Blueline. While the Bluelines are great pumps, the SP6 is also a great pump and you will save money on power, simplify your plumbing, decrease noise and decrease heat transfer. No reason to run two pumps in your case if you don't have to.

I'm sure I could find a new use for the blue line.

You think the sp6 could handle the head pressure?

Bent
09/09/2015, 11:42 AM
Ehhh.....

The specs on the sp6 says the max head height is 11ft. I may have more than that.

slief
09/09/2015, 11:46 AM
Ehhh.....

The specs on the sp6 says the max head height is 11ft. I may have more than that.

Thats a shame. The SP6 is a great pump!

Roccus
09/10/2015, 06:07 AM
the Pan world 150PS delivers 1080 GPH and is capable of 28' of head...mine pushes 850 GPH ( according to the pump curve) 12' to the second floor past 5 90 degree elbows and a check valve all through 3/4" pipe ... with enough to spare to run a carbon and phose ban reactor AND return by pass water to the sump.... before you buy any pump ..pay close attention to the pump curve... some drop off drastically as you get near max head pressure.... a pump with a lesser GPH rating but capable of higher head pressures may in reality deliver more water than a pump capable of twice the flow but much less head...

Bent
09/10/2015, 07:13 AM
So I bought the sp4, the brs dr, and some carbon and Gfo.

I'm going to run just the display with the blue line and replumb my sump.

Thanks guys!

Bent
09/10/2015, 01:48 PM
I'm redoing my manifold for hopefully the third and final time:

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z433/Tackett1980/517688E9-BC70-43C1-AEF6-585D47BB57E5.jpg

Plumbing is not close to being done so ignore the routes.

slief
09/10/2015, 02:45 PM
I'm redoing my manifold for hopefully the third and final time:

http://i1189.photobucket.com/albums/z433/Tackett1980/517688E9-BC70-43C1-AEF6-585D47BB57E5.jpg

Plumbing is not close to being done so ignore the routes.

Hopefully.... I hope I don't throw a monkey wrench in your spokes.

I'd change those ball valves out for gate valves so you have better control over your flow rate.. Ball valves are about the worst way of controlling flow on a manifold. They don't allow for fine enough control where as a gate valve will allow very fine flow control which is a must on a manifold in my experience. Especially for things like carbon and GFO reactors. I'd suggest changing that now if you didn't plan on using gate valves. Otherwise, this likely will not be the last redo of your manifold. Been there done that..

Bent
09/10/2015, 02:52 PM
Hopefully.... I hope I don't throw a monkey wrench in your spokes.

I'd change those ball valves out for gate valves so you have better control over your flow rate.. Ball valves are about the worst way of controlling flow on a manifold. They don't allow for fine enough control where as a gate valve will allow very fine flow control which is a must on a manifold in my experience. Especially for things like carbon and GFO reactors. I'd suggest changing that now if you didn't plan on using gate valves. Otherwise, this likely will not be the last redo of your manifold. Been there done that..

Eh. I didn't feel like waiting for two days for Amazon to delver the valves. I'll make do.

slief
09/11/2015, 09:44 AM
Eh. I didn't feel like waiting for two days for Amazon to delver the valves. I'll make do.

I will look forward to your next manifold version then.. Ball valves are wortheless for GFO and carbon reactors. Especially the ones you have. I have the same ones on my mixing tanks and you cannot adjust them well enough. They become way notchy. You will never get the flow right and will have to constantly adjust them or deal with solidified GFO and or ground up GFO and carbon dust in your system.. Trust me, it's worth the 2 day wait to do it right. Anybody that has run a manifold will tell you the same thing.

Bent
09/11/2015, 10:54 AM
I will look forward to your next manifold version then.. Ball valves are wortheless for GFO and carbon reactors. Especially the ones you have. I have the same ones on my mixing tanks and you cannot adjust them well enough. They become way notchy. You will never get the flow right and will have to constantly adjust them or deal with solidified GFO and or ground up GFO and carbon dust in your system.. Trust me, it's worth the 2 day wait to do it right. Anybody that has run a manifold will tell you the same thing.

I know, I know. Patience is not one of my virtues. I just ordered some. I'll just use the balls to cut off flow to each one so I don't have to redo the entire thing again.

When u right u right.

slief
09/11/2015, 11:25 AM
I know, I know. Patience is not one of my virtues. I just ordered some. I'll just use the balls to cut off flow to each one so I don't have to redo the entire thing again.

When u right u right.

I'm in touch with the lack of patience. Patience isn't one of my virtues either but sometimes you just need to find it within ourself.

I was going to suggest keeping the ball valves and just adding the gate valves. The balls will be useful to cut the flow off without having to readjust the gate valves when you change media. You will be happy you added the gate valves!

Bent
09/11/2015, 01:23 PM
I'm in touch with the lack of patience. Patience isn't one of my virtues either but sometimes you just need to find it within ourself.

I was going to suggest keeping the ball valves and just adding the gate valves. The balls will be useful to cut the flow off without having to readjust the gate valves when you change media. You will be happy you added the gate valves!

Thanks buddy. Now I just have to find something to do in the mean time. This algae is starting to get on my nerves.

I'm afraid to clean it all right now...

Sk8r
09/11/2015, 05:15 PM
Eheim makes a great line. For indestructibility and easy service the Iwaki, but that is an exterior pump better for the basement, because it is incredibly noisy. The Iwaki 100 is about 2300 gph at level. But I would swear by Eheims, too: hard to kill and highly efficient.