PDA

View Full Version : Best tank for my budget

Ssteve
09/09/2015, 11:22 AM
Looking to purchase a tank, stand and sump for under $3,000 shipped. Must be rimless(euro braced is fine and preferred), starfire front at minimum, and would like something 60" long and no more than 24" tall but open to widths from 24"-30".

I originally was looking at the Red Sea reefer 450, then talked myself into wanting something with more room for tangs and want to run the ATI hybrid on it so I thought the sca150 would be about perfect, but I would still need to replumb it and the skimmer is garbage from what I read, so I figured if I'm spending $2500 I should maybe look at what I can get for a few hundred more.

I am looking to avoid as much custom work(making a stand etc) as I can, since I have limited tools and time for custom fab stuff.

brett559
09/09/2015, 12:52 PM
Here you go. 60" tank, prebuilt stand, and sump for $2,400. Looks like it also comes with a return pump, skimmer and light too.
http://www.cadlights.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=61_62&products_id=314

I just got their 42g Versa tank and I love it. Very pleased with everything so far.

Mark75
09/09/2015, 01:06 PM
SC aquariums did have a pnp rimless 80g on sale. I would at least give them a look.

Ssteve
09/09/2015, 01:12 PM
I did. They have a 60x24x24 for about $2400 that I was considering but reading about them it seems there's some plumbing issues and its really loud unless you modify some stuff.

As for the cadlights setup it looks pretty nice but I have heard mixed opinions on quality and support after making the purchase.

andrek787
09/09/2015, 02:07 PM
Steve the new SCA 150g tanks come with 3 1" drains, with standard US bulkheads, so you can do herbie or even bean animal. I believe they started to customize plumbing for customers, so if you really don't want to do your own, ask them to. You should call them and ask for the best price they can do on a pnp. They also have different 60"L tanks coming soon including a full rimless.

Alternative is Planet Aquarium if you can wait for it to be built. Based on quote I got it from my LFS,it should fit in your budget.

Ssteve
09/09/2015, 02:26 PM
That's great news. I'll give them a call when I get closer to making the purchase.

nuxx
09/09/2015, 06:11 PM
I'm too much a tang lover... wouldn't do less than 8' if possible.

Ssteve
09/09/2015, 06:28 PM
ok thanks

Ssteve
09/09/2015, 06:40 PM
Anyone ever heard of Crystal dynamic aquariums? http://www.cdaquarium.com/ I just got a quote for a tank from a lfs that uses them and it seemed reasonable.

solitude127
09/09/2015, 08:30 PM
Anyone ever heard of Crystal dynamic aquariums? http://www.cdaquarium.com/ I just got a quote for a tank from a lfs that uses them and it seemed reasonable.

Word on the street here in SoCal is the Crystal Dynamics is formally known as LeeMar. A few reefers have their tanks and they look great.

Also, if you go with Eurobracing, get it recessed a 1/4". Makes a huge difference with small spills on the bracing.

martyf
09/09/2015, 08:36 PM
The CAD Lights setups look incredible

Space heater
09/09/2015, 09:12 PM
Yea, as much as I like my DIY AOI if I had it to do over I'd get the 42g Versa from CAD Lights. Their tanks look awesome.

andrek787
09/09/2015, 09:41 PM
Check out this recent thread out on Crystal Dynamics "LeeMar" tank:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2513736&highlight=crystal+dynamics&page=2

Ssteve
09/09/2015, 10:35 PM
Check out this recent thread out on Crystal Dynamics "LeeMar" tank:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2513736&highlight=crystal+dynamics&page=2

That's a bummer. I wouldn't have accepted it the second time either and just made them get it right.... Particularly since it's not even reef ready.

andrek787
09/09/2015, 11:41 PM
CADLights used to be the same company as SCA, but split for what ever reason. I don't know if they have the same tank and stand manufacturer but they have different approaches. SCA have great customer service and CADLights don't. The cabinets are not the best quality for either company from what I heard.

I basically had the same must haves as Steve and about the same budget.

I was split between CADLight's 6' 150g and SCA's 5' 150g when CADLights were offering a build your own 150g artisian deal, with tank only costing 1250 shipped. Then the 150g tank went on sale for decided to stick to my original plan and got the SCA 150g tank for less then $800 shipped. Now, I am having a ELOS style/quality stand built for me. The process of building the stand is slow and will end up costing around $1500. I am still undecided on the sump. I really like the rimless glass sumps that come with SCA and Cadlights PNPs. I can buy a sump from SCA but the baffle layout doesn't work for me.

soulpatch
09/16/2015, 11:48 AM
Steve the new SCA 150g tanks come with 3 1" drains, with standard US bulkheads, so you can do herbie or even bean animal. I believe they started to customize plumbing for customers, so if you really don't want to do your own, ask them to. You should call them and ask for the best price they can do on a pnp. They also have different 60"L tanks coming soon including a full rimless.

Alternative is Planet Aquarium if you can wait for it to be built. Based on quote I got it from my LFS,it should fit in your budget.

Do you know if they will drill one more hole? IE I want to use the 3 holes in the overflow for bean animal but woudl want a hole drilled at top of back wall for return so as to still use the returns but not have to go over the back rim.

I have been going back and forth with Steve some in email but have yet to have that question answered.

andrek787
09/16/2015, 12:15 PM
I actually want to do the same thing. I assumed they would not drill it but I have never actually asked. That would really be ideal. We have person in our reefclub that run a maintenance company and he is willing to do it, but its a hassle of moving the tank back and forth and I still assume the risk. It is possible to run the return over the back neatly using locline.

soulpatch
09/16/2015, 12:23 PM
I actually want to do the same thing. I assumed they would not drill it but I have never actually asked. That would really be ideal. We have person in our reefclub that run a maintenance company and he is willing to do it, but its a hassle of moving the tank back and forth and I still assume the risk. It is possible to run the return over the back neatly using locline.

Yes should they not be willing to drill I might go that route but that would interfere with a screen top and add a ripple to the top of the tank when we are getting this style to not have anything on the top...

Or I go the route and have the overflow taken out all together and I drill it myself to add in a synergy/reef savvy overflow and 2 returns.

I agree though that it woudl be better to have it done before shipped to me so that I do not have to worry about moving to drill then back onto the stand. Bad enough I plan on building my own stand as I am not sure I want theirs even though they apparently have an actual wood stand for the 120/150 I doubt it woudl be at the height I want...

andrek787
09/16/2015, 02:54 PM
The only thing that scares me about drilling the back for returns is that if the bulkheads are submerged the tank would drain to that point if the check valves fail.

SCA is keeping my 150 in their warehouse until my stand is finished, so they still have a chance to drill it before shipping.

soulpatch
09/16/2015, 02:57 PM
The only thing that scares me about drilling the back for returns is that if the bulkheads are submerged the tank would drain to that point if the check valves fail.

SCA is keeping my 150 in their warehouse until my stand is finished, so they still have a chance to drill it before shipping.

No they would drain to the point of where your locline returns are which should be close to the surface anyway for agitation.

i wouldnt use a check valve personally on a return but instead set the heads of the return just below the surface. So long as they are around the weir you wont gain any extra water into your sump...