PDA

View Full Version : Sump design help please--dream sump--

lovetoclown
09/09/2015, 09:22 PM
I am in the process of upgrading from my 46 gallon 3 year old tank to a 320 gallon envision acrylics tank. I built a sump/hobby room on the opposite side of the wall. I need help planning the new sumps. I am going to use two 4ft 75g tanks. I can either put one above the other or staggered one behind the other. The return and skimmer are both external. I was thinking about having one tank house a frag rack and the macro and other plants and rock. But I would love some advice on how many chambers, where to plumb in the skimmer, where to pull water from to feed the refugium or where to return water from the refugium. Any info would be great! Thanks.

lovetoclown
09/10/2015, 06:41 PM
No help at all?

don_chuwish
09/16/2015, 10:43 AM
That's an ambitious amount of water!
If I were allowed to dream this big, I'd be considering a 'display refugium'.
One 75G tank as a simple sump, socks, monster skimmer, heaters, etc. Probably some sand for extra surface area, then a return chamber.
2nd 75G tank mounted just a little higher than the DT - fill it with a bed of sand, some rock, and attractive macro algae. Plus any critters that won't devour the micro-fauna we want from a refugium.
DT drains to sump, return pumps up to refugium, refugium gravity feeds back to DT.
But that's just me, I like to dream big but simple!