PDA

View Full Version : Dead rock

Po Sei Don
09/10/2015, 10:58 AM
I have left my live rock outside for the past two years, what would you guys suggest for rehabbing it so I can use it again?

Sugar Magnolia
09/10/2015, 11:06 AM
Either a bleach bath or a muriatic acid bath. I've bleached rock before with some bleach and water then soaked it in rodi for a week or so then let it completely dry out for a couple of weeks.

Po Sei Don
09/10/2015, 11:53 AM
Bleaching rock scares me haha. Would I just let it sit in water until when?

JaimeAdams
09/10/2015, 02:50 PM
I think that Sugar is on the money. I would bleach bath it rinse it very well allow it to dry out completely then the rodi soak.

You could try scrubbing it down with brushes in a water bath or a power washer if you wont bleach it. You really want to be able to kill anything terrestrial that has found its way into the little nooks and crannies.

JWClark
09/10/2015, 03:16 PM
You really want to be able to kill anything terrestrial that has found its way into the little nooks and crannies.

Why? If you are going to cycle this just adds food for the process. The marine environment itself will kill anything that is living in there. My only concern would be built up nitrates/phosphates from the previous life in the tank (of from large amounts of terrestrial critters--but I doubt you'd have that many).