PDA

View Full Version : fried my apex.

JenniB
09/10/2015, 11:25 AM
So I was cleaning my tank before I would be leaving for awhile and long story short I spilled saltwater on my apex energy bar, there was a pop (and bad smell) from the energy bar and everything stopped working. I contacted Neptune and they had me try some different things but nothing worked. now my tank is running bare min. with an electrical set up that I KNOW is not quite safe. Now I am wondering should I just try to replace the energy bar? or maybe just give up and try a new controller?? any advice?

Tweaked
09/10/2015, 11:34 AM
New energy bar, look no further than Neptune

a·pex
ˈāpeks/Submit
noun
the top or highest part of something, especially one forming a point.
"the living room extends right up into the apex of the roof"

slief
09/10/2015, 11:40 AM
So I was cleaning my tank before I would be leaving for awhile and long story short I spilled saltwater on my apex energy bar, there was a pop (and bad smell) from the energy bar and everything stopped working. I contacted Neptune and they had me try some different things but nothing worked. now my tank is running bare min. with an electrical set up that I KNOW is not quite safe. Now I am wondering should I just try to replace the energy bar? or maybe just give up and try a new controller?? any advice?

I'd be reasonably confident that all you need is a new EB8. Get one and ship your old EB8 back for repair. The repair cost will be cheap and you will then have a spare EB8 for backup or future expansion.

ca1ore
09/10/2015, 11:46 AM
now my tank is running bare min. with an electrical set up that I KNOW is not quite safe. Now I am wondering should I just try to replace the energy bar? or maybe just give up and try a new controller?? any advice?

Apparently the old setup wasn't quite safe either :lol:

I fried an EB4. Removed it from the system and rebooted the head unit and all was fine; well, except the EB4 was toast (though repairable). Always good practice to put the outlets where they cannot be splashed, dripped on or otherwise dumped into the tank.

JenniB
09/10/2015, 11:47 AM
LMAO! yeah I guess it wasn't safe!!

Aqualund
09/10/2015, 02:53 PM
Yeah just get the replacement. Of course, there are other options that could be less expensive or more functional, but these tend to require extensive electrical experience. Apex is your best option without needing to get fussy. Just mount it in a place where its nearly impossible to get wet again!

EllisJuan
09/10/2015, 04:52 PM
Do you have the EB8 plugged into a GFI? My brother overflowed the ATO reservoir onto his EB8 over the weekend and it tripped the GFI, but the EB8 survived. Then splashed water onto it again moving the ATO reservoir...lol. Same thing, the GFI tripped but the EB8 was ok.

Allentown
09/10/2015, 10:59 PM
Replace it and move on.

Considering having to replace apex parts a non-optional possible evil of reefing.

Your talking to a guy who has 2 head units, 2 EB8s, has been through 2 control modules and has 3 leak detector units and briefly tried an apex jr......and I have never once spilled water on any of my equipment....

*** happens,...especially when you have cats and electrical storms and stupid people around,

JenniB
11/07/2015, 01:32 PM
So it was not the energy bar. sending the unit back to see if they can repair it.

slief
11/07/2015, 03:04 PM
So it was not the energy bar. sending the unit back to see if they can repair it.

Wow.. You must have caused a short than went through the Aquabus cable. Fortunately Neptune is very fast and reasonable with their out of warranty repairs. They typically turn them within 24 hours. I keep a spare base unit on hand that is pre-programmed and ready to swap in. It's just one of the many spare items I keep for worse case scenarios.