PDA

View Full Version : Choose type of fish to breed

Cj8
09/10/2015, 03:25 PM
Hi guy i want to start breeding saltwater fish. I want to know which is easier to breed and to raise the fry's Kaudern's Cardinalfish or Ocellaris Clownfish.

shifty51008
09/10/2015, 03:29 PM
Easier i would say is the cardinal fish

ThreeMoneyJ
09/16/2015, 09:52 AM
Cardinalfish require almost zero work. There are many stories of people accidentally raising them and finding fry in their sumps.

I've tried both. Lots of success with cardinals, none with clowns.

billsreef
09/16/2015, 05:23 PM
Cardinals are the easiest to rear. Clowns will yield higher numbers, but require more work.

kizanne
09/20/2015, 07:51 AM
I'd also mention the cardinals aren't as guaranteed. First it is hard to tell boy from girl and they don't switch sex. They are easy if you have a male that holds to the last day. If not you might have a male that eats the eggs or spits them out early in which case to ensure babies you'd have to strip them and tumble. If you get a 'good' male then Cardinals are super easy the male does all the work and you can start them on baby brine and I've heard even pellets if you manage the flow.

Clowns on the other hand will almost always pair (if you get them small) and lay eggs. But their babies require rotifers and such when first hatched though there are people reporting Othime (sp). works.

shifty51008
09/20/2015, 12:02 PM
I'd also mention the cardinals aren't as guaranteed. First it is hard to tell boy from girl and they don't switch sex. They are easy if you have a male that holds to the last day. If not you might have a male that eats the eggs or spits them out early in which case to ensure babies you'd have to strip them and tumble. If you get a 'good' male then Cardinals are super easy the male does all the work and you can start them on baby brine and I've heard even pellets if you manage the flow.

Clowns on the other hand will almost always pair (if you get them small) and lay eggs. But their babies require rotifers and such when first hatched though there are people reporting Othime (sp). works.

The reason males eat the babies or spits them out is because of their diet

kizanne
09/20/2015, 02:13 PM
That may be. I've seen some breeders who seem to know what to feed stock fish still have males not hold long enough. I don't have enough experience with them to know if all well fed males are good dads.

Tangs27
09/23/2015, 02:20 AM
The reason males eat the babies or spits them out is because of their diet

What type of food is best for the males? Thanks [emoji2]

shifty51008
09/23/2015, 02:04 PM
I feed a mix of PE mysis, marine cusine, instant ocean marine chips, nls pellets, and mysis / spirulina flakes 4-5 times a day. Im not saying it us best, but ive had good luck with this mix so far